Find Empirical Formula for Gas X: C_7H_16

• Thread starter Clari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the gas X has an empirical formula of CH3. The mole ratio of C to H is 7:20, which simplifies to 1:0.35. Therefore, the empirical formula is the most logical and accurate representation of the gas.
Clari
A gas X has a density of 1.187[tex]gdm^-3[/tex] at 1.01 atm. & 35[tex]^oC[/tex]. Gas X contains 79.8% by mass of C & 20.2% by mass of H. Find the empirical formula of X.

Here are my steps:

mole ratio of C to H = 79.8/12.01 : 20.2/1.008
= 7: 20
In that case, its empirical formula is [tex]C_{7}H_{20}[/tex] while I don't think there is a gas with this formula, the closest one is [tex]C_{7}H_{16}[/tex]. Can anyone help me with it?

I know what's wrong now...I have mistaken it as the molecular formula...hheee...being silly...so the answer should be [tex]CH_{3}[/tex].

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ok.

Note: to make your Latex fit into the text, use "itex" and "/itex" in the brackets instead of "tex" and "/tex".

It is very simple; just simplify the ratio, [itex] \frac {7}{20} [/itex] to obtain [itex] \frac {1}{0,35}[/itex]. As you know that a carbon-containing gas must contain up to five carbon atoms, a gas with seven carbons would not be logical. So just simplify the ratio for your needs.

1. What is an empirical formula?

An empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio of elements in a compound. It does not necessarily represent the actual number of atoms in a molecule, but rather the relative proportions of each element.

2. How do you determine the empirical formula of a compound?

To determine the empirical formula, you must first determine the mass of each element present in the compound. Then, divide the mass of each element by its molar mass. Finally, divide each result by the smallest value obtained. The resulting values will give you the empirical formula.

3. What is the molar mass of gas X (C7H16)?

The molar mass of gas X is the sum of the atomic masses of each element present in the compound. In this case, the molar mass of C7H16 is approximately 100.2 g/mol.

4. Can the empirical formula of a compound be the same as its molecular formula?

Yes, it is possible for the empirical formula and molecular formula to be the same. This occurs when the compound has the simplest ratio possible between its elements.

5. How is the empirical formula used in chemistry?

The empirical formula is useful in determining the composition of a compound and for predicting its properties. It is also used in stoichiometric calculations to determine the amount of reactants needed and products formed in a chemical reaction.