Is mech engineering enough for grad school in physics?

In summary, if you want to study physics for grad school, but your parents didn't let you take a BSc in Physics, you should consider transferring to a program that allows you to do so. Even if you were to self-learn all of the courses you would miss, it would be a challenge to do so and you would miss out on important opportunities.
Headacheguy
I'm planning to study physics for grad school, but my parents didn't let me take a BSc in Physics. I'm currently on my second year in mechanical engineering (5 yrs). As of now, I have no interest in engineering--no plans on working in that field.

I'm thinking whether I should switch majors to physics. In my university, however, we are not allowed to change majors after sophomore year. So this means I would need to transfer.

Transferring would waste my 2 years, most universities wouldn't take credit for most courses from other schools. Would it be worth it to transfer, or should I just finish my BSc in ME and then apply for MSc in Physics? (As far as I know, ME wouldn't suffice much for a solid foundation in physics)Edit: The physics program to which I'm planning to transfer to consists of 5 yrs. That means 7 yrs in undergrad O.O

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Is there no way to take the physics classes you need? Are you in the US? You need upper division classes is classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. That's about 8-9 classes.

Hey, thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I'm not from the US. Our curriculum is fixed. We can only take classes which are on the list.

We are never taking classical mechanics, E&M, and QM, we will be taking static of rigid bodies though. Is this the same as statistical mechanics?

Headacheguy said:
Hey, thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I'm not from the US. Our curriculum is fixed. We can only take classes which are on the list.

We are never taking classical mechanics, E&M, and QM, we will be taking static of rigid bodies though. Is this the same as statistical mechanics?

Not at all; they're completely different. Don't let the similarity of the terms confuse you. Statics looks at systems in static equilibrium (ie. systems that don't accelerate, don't rotate). Statistical mechanics uses areas of probability and statistical methods to predict properties of systems with high number of particles in it.

Thank you, Jokerhelper. So we're not going to have that either. Maybe I should just self-learn all this courses that I'm going to miss?

Headacheguy said:
Thank you, Jokerhelper. So we're not going to have that either. Maybe I should just self-learn all this courses that I'm going to miss?

Frankly, you are missing a lot, so that would be quite challenging to achieve. Plus, even you were able to do so, you'd be missing out on lab experience and research work in physics, which are important for grad school.

I would suggest you look into some upper-level physics textbooks, and see if the material really interests you. Just make sure you are not having a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

1. Is a background in mechanical engineering sufficient for pursuing a graduate degree in physics?

While a background in mechanical engineering can provide a strong foundation in math, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, it may not cover all the necessary topics and concepts for a graduate degree in physics. It is important to have a strong understanding of fundamental physics principles and theories, which may require additional coursework or self-study.

2. Can I transition from a career in mechanical engineering to a graduate program in physics?

Yes, it is possible to transition from a career in mechanical engineering to a graduate program in physics. However, it may require taking additional coursework or completing a pre-requisite program to bridge any knowledge gaps. It is also important to have a strong passion and interest in physics to succeed in a graduate program.

3. Are there any specific courses from my mech engineering background that will be useful in a physics graduate program?

Some courses from a mechanical engineering background that may be useful in a physics graduate program include mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. These courses can provide a strong foundation in understanding the physical world and developing problem-solving skills that can be applied to physics concepts.

4. What skills from a mech engineering background will be beneficial in a physics graduate program?

A background in mechanical engineering can provide skills such as mathematical modeling, data analysis, and experimental design, which are all valuable in a physics graduate program. Additionally, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think critically are also important skills that can be transferred from a mech engineering background to physics.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in both mechanical engineering and physics to be successful in a physics graduate program?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in both mechanical engineering and physics to be successful in a physics graduate program. However, having a strong foundation in both subjects can be beneficial as they complement each other and provide a well-rounded understanding of the physical world. It is important to have a strong passion and dedication for physics in order to succeed in a graduate program.