Charge Sensitive and shaping amplifier

In summary, the circuit attached has a current feedback amp with trans-impedance resistor R3. The designer put the jFet to minimize the input current. However, you can get a jFet input amp and make it simplier. With the C3, don't think the designer is expecting high frequency performance, so it should not be hard to find a JFet input opamp to do the job if that really needed.
rama1001
Hi,
we are designing a new radon detector which filled with two parts as CSA&SA(charge sesitive and shaping amplifier) in the total system. I attached a Circuit consisting of those two parts and i need to know the function JFET in CSA. In the given circuit i mentioned one arrow at the end of CSA part and next is SA. the output of CSA is 40mV and input will given as 111mV from function generator. i want to clear my self how the jfet is working over there adn about feed back.

Likes pretty_fly
Engineering news on Phys.org
rama1001 said:
Hi,
we are designing a new radon detector which filled with two parts as CSA&SA(charge sesitive and shaping amplifier) in the total system. I attached a Circuit consisting of those two parts and i need to know the function JFET in CSA. In the given circuit i mentioned one arrow at the end of CSA part and next is SA. the output of CSA is 40mV and input will given as 111mV from function generator. i want to clear my self how the jfet is working over there adn about feed back.

The attachment didn't seem to go through...?

Now find the attachment of circuit

Last edited:
AD811 is a current feedback amp, you better be careful how you put it as part of the close loop feedback. It is really not a convensional voltage feedback opamp that you can run it in open loop like in the circuit shown. You don't have a feedback resistor to close the loop on the opamp itself.

I don't quite understand the circuit, it almost like sensing the voltage across the R5 and try to feed back to the input. Looks like R3 is supposed to be the trans-impedance resistor so what ever current at the input will be convert into voltage of V=I X R3. Also if it is a closed loop feedback trans-impedance amp with R3 as feedback resistor, C3 will be the killer, this will create a poll and you cannot stablize the amp that easy.

I design a lot of trans-impedance amp in my career, this looks very different to me. Maybe I don't know the input condition. You need to specify what input range to expect and what is you output requirement.

I think the designer put the jFet to minimize the input current. But I can tell you that you can get a jFet input amp and make it simplier. With the C3, don't think the designer is expecting high frequency performance, so it should not be hard to find a JFet input opamp to do the job if that really needed.

Yes, this operation will not conduct at higher frequencies and also the op-amp we are using is ad817.
input parameters by function generator
------------------------------------------
freq-100Hz
amp-111mv
duty cycle-50%
time-5ms

rama1001 said:
Yes, this operation will not conduct at higher frequencies and also the op-amp we are using is ad817.
input parameters by function generator
------------------------------------------
freq-100Hz
amp-111mv
duty cycle-50%
time-5ms

If you don't need high output current drive requirement, forget the J-FET stuff and just use a simple op-amp circuit. You can do it with one op-amp and two resistors. What is the input current range? I can't find your schematic again! Give me you input and output requirement, I'll come up with something for you. What you given is not enough for design, just enough to tell me this should be a piece of cake!

1. What is a charge sensitive amplifier?

A charge sensitive amplifier (CSA) is an electronic circuit used to amplify small electrical signals, specifically those produced by charged particles in particle detectors. It is designed to have a high input impedance and low noise, allowing it to accurately measure and amplify tiny electrical charges.

2. How does a charge sensitive amplifier work?

A charge sensitive amplifier works by converting the small charge signals from a particle detector into voltage signals. This is achieved by amplifying the current produced by the detector and then converting it into a voltage signal using a capacitor. The voltage signal is then further amplified and shaped to produce a usable output signal.

3. What is the purpose of shaping in a charge sensitive amplifier?

The purpose of shaping in a charge sensitive amplifier is to improve the signal-to-noise ratio of the output signal. This is achieved by shaping the voltage signal into a more desirable form, such as a Gaussian or trapezoidal shape, which allows for better discrimination between the signal and background noise.

4. What are some applications of charge sensitive and shaping amplifiers?

Charge sensitive and shaping amplifiers are commonly used in particle physics experiments, where they are used to detect and measure charged particles. They are also used in medical imaging devices, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scanners, and in nuclear physics experiments to measure radioactive decay.

5. How do I choose the right charge sensitive amplifier for my application?

Choosing the right charge sensitive amplifier depends on the specific requirements of your application, such as the type of particle detector being used, the desired signal-to-noise ratio, and the range of input signals. It is important to consult with experts or do thorough research to ensure that the amplifier you choose is suitable for your needs.