How Do You Calculate the Area Under a Complex Function?

In summary: i] you cannot integrate a fraction by integrating the top and bottom separately[it doesn't even begin to work …forget about it]ii] you'll need to simplify the bottom first …either complete the square or susbtitute u = x - 3 :smile:thank you .after completing the square for the bottom i end up with this. y= 100(2x+1)(5-x)y=(100+2x+1)(5-x)(x-3)^2 - 3^2) + 23do i have to do the integral by part ?do i have to do the integral by part
fatou123
i am struggling with this question for quite few days now and i am nowhere near to an appropriate solution.

The previous ( related) question were regarding the the function
g(x)= 5+9x-2x^2 /(x^2 -6x+23)^3/2.

i have found the derivatives, the stationary point and also to classify them as local maximum and minimum which aare at x=-1/2 and x=5 .

this is the final question which i am struggling with

find the area bounded by the graph
y= (100(2x+1)(5 - x))/(x^2 -6x+23)^(5/2)
and below the x-axis. give your answer to four significant question.

I am only struggling to find the integral so i can calculate the area by myself.
so far i have found the integral of the numerator to be
100(2x+1)(5-x)
100(5+9x-2x^2)
500x+450x^2-(200/2)x^3

for the denominator i have found 2/7(x^2 -6x+23)^7/2 but i am pretty sure this is wrong.

thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi fatou123! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
fatou123 said:
… so far i have found the integral of the numerator to be
100(2x+1)(5-x)
100(5+9x-2x^2)
500x+450x^2-(200/2)x^3

i assume you mean (200/3)? :wink:
for the denominator i have found 2/7(x^2 -6x+23)^7/2 but i am pretty sure this is wrong.

sure is! :smile:

i] you cannot integrate a fraction by integrating the top and bottom separately

(it doesn't even begin to work …forget about it)​

ii] you'll need to simplify the bottom first …

either complete the square or susbtitute u = x - 3 :smile:

thank you .

after completing the square for the bottom i end up with this.

y= 100(2x+1)(5-x)
((x-3)^2 -3^2) +23)^5/2)

do i have to do the integral by part ?

fatou123 said:
do i have to do the integral by part ?

difficult to see how :confused:

try a trig substitution instead (always useful when there's a square inside a square-root) :smile:

thank you again tiny tim i think i am starting to crack it with a little help well a big one to be honest !
so i gather that the trig substitution might be of the form

sqrt a^2 +b^2 x^2 x=a/b tan(theta)
so far i found the denominator to be to be sqrt((x-3)^2-14)^5) and i think by using the indice rule you get to sqrt((x-3)-14)^3 for the denominator. where u=(x-3) and du=3dx

fatou123 said:
i am struggling with this question for quite few days now and i am nowhere near to an appropriate solution.

The previous ( related) question were regarding the the function
g(x)= 5+9x-2x^2 /(x^2 -6x+23)^3/2.

i have found the derivatives, the stationary point and also to classify them as local maximum and minimum which aare at x=-1/2 and x=5 .

this is the final question which i am struggling with

find the area bounded by the graph
y= (100(2x+1)(5 - x))/(x^2 -6x+23)^(5/2)
and below the x-axis. give your answer to four significant question.

I am only struggling to find the integral so i can calculate the area by myself.
so far i have found the integral of the numerator to be
100(2x+1)(5-x)
100(5+9x-2x^2)
500x+450x^2-(200/2)x^3

thank you for the help.
Do you mean g(x) = 5 + 9x - [2x^2/(x^2 - 6x + 23)^(3/2)]
which is actually what your formula says when parsed using standard rules, or do you mean g(x) = (5 + 9x - 2x^2)/(x^2 - 6x + 23)^(3/2)? If you mean the latter, you need to use brackets.

RGV

soz i meant g(x) = (5 + 9x - 2x^2)/((x^2 - 6x + 23)^(3/2)).

i still haven't learn how to do integral by substitution with trigonometry yet.

hifatou123! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

without trig substitution, you'll need to write it out as

A/√(x2 - 6x + 23) + B(x-3)/√(x2 - 6x + 23) + C/(√(x2 - 6x + 23))3

and then integrate each part separately :wink:

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to determine the exact area under a curve or the value of a function over a specific interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is often used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

2. How do you solve for a definite integral?

To solve for a definite integral, you need to first identify the limits of integration (the starting and ending points of the interval) and the function that is being integrated. Then, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution to evaluate the integral and find its exact numerical value.

3. What are the common challenges when finding a definite integral?

One of the most common challenges when finding a definite integral is identifying the correct integration technique to use. It requires a good understanding of the properties of the function and familiarity with different integration methods. Another challenge is ensuring that the limits of integration are correctly set and that all necessary steps are followed during the integration process.

4. Can definite integrals be solved without using calculus?

No, definite integrals cannot be solved without using calculus. The concept of definite integrals is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function is equal to the area under its curve. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and cannot be solved using other mathematical methods.

5. How can definite integrals be applied in real life?

Definite integrals have many real-life applications, especially in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the work done by a force, the volume of irregular shapes, and the total profit or loss in a business. They are also used in probability and statistics to determine the area under a probability distribution curve.