Immunity to viral diseases - Question

• Thread starter JLol
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of what provides immunity to viral diseases. The options considered are antibiotics and vaccines, but it is clarified that antibiotics only work for bacteria and do not confer immunity. Vaccines, on the other hand, introduce a marker for the pathogen into the body, allowing it to recognize and fight off the virus. It is also mentioned that answering homework questions for students can hinder their learning process.
JLol
So there's this question that has me stuck: The only immunity to viral diseases result from the use of _____. I'm guessing that it's either antibiotics or vaccines, but I'm starting to have doubts. Are my choices correct or should I find another word for the blank?

Physics news on Phys.org
Antibiotics only work for bacteria and do not confer immunity, they simply aim to destroy the bacteria directly. The equivalent for viruses are antiviral drugs however these often aim at inhibiting the replication of viruses (e.g. interferon) rather than attacking the virus directly.

Vaccines confer immunity by introducing a marker for the pathogen into the body so that it can recognise it, the first and best example of a vaccine for a virus is the smallpox vaccine.

Homework question? If it is, you should just point them in the right direction Ryan. Students learn more when figuring it out on their own :)

bobze said:
Homework question? If it is, you should just point them in the right direction Ryan. Students learn more when figuring it out on their own :)

Very true! I didn't realize it was I'm afraid.

ryan_m_b said:
Very true! I didn't realize it was I'm afraid.

Don't worry people sneak them in trying to wrap up procrastinated projects and not willing to take the time to actually learn their material. I've answered them before too! :wink:

The fact that it was posted in the biology section tricked me! I'll be more wary of students from now on :tongue2:

1. What is immunity to viral diseases?

Immunity to viral diseases refers to the body's ability to protect itself against viruses that can cause infections and diseases. It is a complex process that involves the immune system recognizing and attacking foreign viruses to prevent them from causing harm to the body.

2. How does the body develop immunity to viral diseases?

The body develops immunity to viral diseases through two processes: natural immunity and acquired immunity. Natural immunity is when the body's immune system recognizes and responds to a virus that it has encountered before. Acquired immunity, on the other hand, is when the body develops immunity after being exposed to a virus through vaccination or previous infection.

3. Can you become immune to all viral diseases?

No, it is not possible to become immune to all viral diseases. There are thousands of different viruses that can cause diseases in humans, and the body's immune response is specific to each virus. Additionally, viruses can mutate and change, making it difficult for the body to develop long-lasting immunity.

4. How long does immunity to viral diseases last?

The duration of immunity to viral diseases varies depending on the virus and the individual's immune response. Some viruses, such as the common cold, can cause repeated infections because the body does not develop long-term immunity. Other viruses, like measles, can provide lifelong immunity after infection or vaccination.

5. Can immunity to viral diseases be passed from mother to child?

Yes, immunity to viral diseases can be passed from mother to child through breast milk or during pregnancy. This is known as passive immunity and provides temporary protection to the child until their own immune system develops. However, this type of immunity does not last long and the child will need to develop their own immunity over time.