Diffusion Quanutm Montecarlo

• Thread starter Derivator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffusion
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Monte Carlo moves inspired by actual dynamics and the use of the propagator to simulate a Gaussian probability distribution. The initial density function used in the Monte Carlo integration is assumed to be arbitrary and the process is expected to converge towards equilibrium.
Derivator
Hi,

below, you will find an extract from a script.

One sentence is:

"Move these walkers according to the the Gaussian distribution ..." (you can find this on the second image)

My question:

Why is it obvious from formula (124) (the short time step proppagator) that we have to move the walkers according to the Gaussian distribution?

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/769/dqmc1.png

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7313/dqmc2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert in Monte Carlo moves that are inspired by actual dynamics. Anyways: The propagator (equation 128, not 124) gives you the probability that a particle which was at x at t=0 is at y at t=delta t. This is the dynamics you want to simulate. The propagator is a Gaussian in the spatial coordinates. So it seems very sensible to me to simulate this Gaussian probability distribution by using a Gaussian probability distribution for the move from x to a random new y (sidenote: you can also propose moves from a different probability distribution, but then you'd have to reject some of those proposals). The other factor in the propagator is treated in an extra step (I think missing sentence is "If q is greater than 1 the walker survives"), and in a less direct manner.
I'm not sure if I really understood your question, though. It seems a bit strange to ask why one simulates a Gaussian via a Gaussian (even though it is a good question once you dig a bit deeper), so maybe I missed your point.

Last edited:
Timo said:
I'm not sure if I really understood your question, though.

well, i think you did. i was not aware of, that the propagator gives the probability that a particle which was at x at t=0 is at y at t=delta t.

If I got it right, the propagator G is sampled via the Monte Carlo walkers (I assume one uses the Metropolis algorithm) and in a second step the integral right below formula 128 is calculated (via monte carlo integration?). I assume, that the initial density function \rho(y,t) in this integral is arbitrary?

Last edited:
Hi Derivator,

sorry for the late reply. I don't have time to invest into forum discussions, so I can't offer you super thought-through comments. Still, I should at least give some feedback, I think:
Derivator said:
If I got it right, the propagator G is sampled via the Monte Carlo walkers (I assume one uses the Metropolis algorithm)
I'd rather call it sampling a process according to the dynamics given by the propagator.
and in a second step the integral right below formula 128 is calculated (via monte carlo integration?)
That's not said in the part of the text you quoted, I think. I think the formula directly below (128) merely is the claim that the error (whatever that may be in detail) scales quadratically with the time step (note that you sample small time steps).
I assume, that the initial density function \rho(y,t) in this integral is arbitrary?
In the theory of Monte Carlo simulations, there are two conditions which (in theory) guarantee that a process started from any arbitrary starting state will converge towards equilibrium, and from thereon sample states according to the equilibrium distribution. Those are ergodicity and detailed balance. I don't understand the specific process you are describing well enough to make comments about them in this particular case. But I think you can assume that this is supposed to sample an equilibrium case, and that the author of the text knows how to construct Monte Carlo algorithms => the starting state probably doesn't matter.

1. What is Diffusion Quantum Monte Carlo?

Diffusion Quantum Monte Carlo (DMC) is a computational method used in quantum physics to simulate the behavior of quantum systems. It is often used to solve the Schrodinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system.

2. How does DMC work?

DMC works by using random sampling to approximate the wave function of a quantum system. It evolves a set of "walkers" in imaginary time, producing a distribution of possible positions for the particles in the system. The final result is an estimate of the ground state energy of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using DMC?

DMC is a highly accurate method for solving quantum problems, often producing results within a few percent of the exact solution. It is also very efficient, allowing for the simulation of large, complex systems that would be impossible to solve analytically.

4. What are the limitations of DMC?

One limitation of DMC is that it is only applicable to systems with a relatively low number of particles. It also requires a large amount of computational resources, making it difficult to use for very large systems. Additionally, DMC cannot be used to study systems with a large amount of entanglement.

5. What are some applications of DMC?

DMC has been used in a variety of applications, including electronic structure calculations, molecular dynamics simulations, and studies of strongly correlated systems. It has also been applied to problems in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and condensed matter physics.