Cambridge master's degrees question

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for Master's degree opportunities in physics or mathematics, particularly at Cambridge. The options include MASt and MPhil, with MASt being known for being notoriously difficult and a prerequisite for the PhD program. It is also mentioned that funding may be a factor in getting into the program. The benefits and differences between MPhil and MASt are also discussed, with MPhil being considered a slightly higher degree. It is suggested that the choice between the two may depend on the desired area of study for a PhD.
batboio
Hello all! I am going to begin the last year of my Bachelor's course in physics in about a month and it's about time to start searching for some Master's degree opportunities. I decided I might just as well try my luck at Cambridge but the problem (one of the many problems actually :P) is that the British education system seems really complicated :) I've been looking for a Master's course in physics or mathematics but there are different Master's programs and I don't know which one is the best for me if I want ot pursue a science career.

So can someone please enlighten me to what is the difference between MASt and MPhil as these seem to be the options. Also any other advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
CASM or part III is the 4th year of a Cambridge undergrad masters. An MPhil is masters degree done by research.

Part III is known to be notoriously hard and it is a prerequisite for application (?) to the Cambridge PhD program. But yes, anything else that you need to know, can be found on the website of the Maths department or some other relevant page. You shouldn't be confused, now that Matt has cleared this up.

It's typically a pre-req for the PhD program and most people who apply are from Part III. You can still get in without it, but it's much harder (I think) since taking Part III is the norm. Also, only a small percentage from Part III actually go on to the PhD program so it really narrows itself down.

I'm not really sure what the difficulty in getting into CASM is though. Someone on this forum said it's really quite easy if you're at least first-class honors (or equivalent) and can deal with the funding. However, I'm a bit skeptical of this and beyond that one source, I have no idea what the admissions is like.

Anonymous217 said:
I'm not really sure what the difficulty in getting into CASM is though. Someone on this forum said it's really quite easy if you're at least first-class honors (or equivalent) and can deal with the funding. However, I'm a bit skeptical of this and beyond that one source, I have no idea what the admissions is like.

I haven't been able to find a lot of information on this either, but would certainly like some.

ahsanxr said:
I haven't been able to find a lot of information on this either, but would certainly like some.

I've heard a few people say that their offer for a place on part III was dependent on them getting an average degree mark of 80%. Although i have spoken to someone who's done part III and he said that a 1.1 should see you in.

Thank you for the replies. You've pretty much told me only about the MASt in mathematics. How about physics? And I know that MPhil is done by research but could you clarify what will be the benefits from a MPhil compared to a MASt (or a MASt compared to a MPhil)? I've read that MPhil is considered to be a bit higher degree. And most importantly which one is better if I want to continue with a PhD afterwards?

Last edited:
batboio said:
Thank you for the replies. You've pretty much told me only about the MASt in mathematics. How about physics? And I know that MPhil is done by research but could you clarify what will be the benefits from a MPhil compared to a MASt (or a MASt compared to a MPhil)? I've read that MPhil is considered to be a bit higher degree. And most importantly which one is better if I want to continue with a PhD afterwards?

Depends what area you want to do your PhD in. MASt is purely theoretical.

matt91a said:
Depends what area you want to do your PhD in. MASt is purely theoretical.

Thank you I think MASt is the thing for me then :)

1. What are the requirements for getting a master's degree at Cambridge?

The requirements for getting a master's degree at Cambridge vary depending on the program, but generally include a bachelor's degree from a recognized institution, relevant coursework, and a strong academic record.

2. How long does it take to complete a master's degree at Cambridge?

The length of a master's degree program at Cambridge can range from one year to two years, depending on the program and the student's schedule. Some programs may offer the option to complete the degree part-time, which may take longer.

3. How much does a master's degree at Cambridge cost?

The cost of a master's degree at Cambridge varies depending on the program and whether the student is a UK/EU or international student. Generally, UK/EU students can expect to pay around £10,000-£12,000 per year, while international students can expect to pay around £20,000-£30,000 per year.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for master's degrees at Cambridge?

Yes, there are a variety of scholarships and financial aid options available for master's degrees at Cambridge. These include scholarships offered by the university, external funding opportunities, and government loans and grants. It is important for students to research and apply for these opportunities early on.

5. Can international students apply for a master's degree at Cambridge?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply for master's degrees at Cambridge. However, they may need to provide additional documentation, such as proof of English language proficiency, and may have different tuition fees than UK/EU students. It is important for international students to carefully review the application requirements and process before applying.