Topology of the diffeomorphism group

In summary, the diffeomorphism group is a set of smooth, invertible, and differentiable maps from a manifold to itself. Studying its topology is important in understanding the behavior of smooth maps and has applications in various fields. Its topology is characterized by smoothness, invertibility, and differentiability properties and is studied using techniques from algebraic topology and differential geometry. Some examples of diffeomorphism groups include the group of smooth isometries, orientation-preserving diffeomorphisms, and symplectic diffeomorphisms. The topology of the diffeomorphism group can vary depending on the underlying manifold's structure and properties such as dimension, curvature, and symmetry.
electroweak
I would like to study the path components (isotopy classes) of the diffeomorphism group of some compact Riemann surface. To make sense of path connectedness, I require a notion of continuity; hence, I require a notion of an open set of diffeomorphisms. What sort of topology should I put on the diffeomorphism group?

Physics news on Phys.org
The classical reference is

Augustin Bangaya, The Structure of Classical Diffeomorphism Groups

1. What is the diffeomorphism group?

The diffeomorphism group is a mathematical concept that describes the set of all smooth, invertible and differentiable maps from a manifold to itself.

2. What is the importance of studying the topology of the diffeomorphism group?

Studying the topology of the diffeomorphism group is crucial in understanding the behavior of smooth maps on a manifold. It also has applications in various fields such as geometry, physics, and engineering.

3. How is the topology of the diffeomorphism group characterized?

The topology of the diffeomorphism group is characterized by its smoothness, invertibility, and differentiability properties. It is also studied using techniques from algebraic topology and differential geometry.

4. What are some examples of diffeomorphism groups?

Some examples of diffeomorphism groups include the group of all smooth isometries on a Riemannian manifold, the group of all orientation-preserving diffeomorphisms on a manifold, and the group of all symplectic diffeomorphisms on a symplectic manifold.

5. How does the topology of the diffeomorphism group change under different manifolds?

The topology of the diffeomorphism group can vary greatly depending on the specific manifold being studied. In general, the topology of the diffeomorphism group is influenced by the structure and properties of the underlying manifold, such as its dimension, curvature, and symmetry.