Help Re-Designing A Curve Using X Y Z Co-ordinates

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the speaker is looking to re-design a railway curve that has irregularities causing lateral displacement. They have gathered data points and want to move the curve at specific points only in a tangent direction. A diagram is attached and the speaker is seeking advice on how to manipulate the coordinates to smooth out the curve while maintaining tangential movement.
tomtomtom1
Hello all

I work in railway transport.

I am trying to re-design an existing railway curve; the existing curvature has several irregularities which result in the train being laterally displaced as it traverses the curve.

What I have done is taken x,y and z co-ordinates along the railway curve and named each point A, B C … and so on.

Using this data I want to re-design the curve so that the irregularities of the curve are removed, the only restriction I have is that I am only allowed to move the curve, at a particular point, tangent to the curve at that point.

Attached is a basic diagram of I am referring to.
• The red dots represent the points along the curve I have taken x y z co-ordinates.
• The blue line represents the tangent line at that point.
• The arrow which is 90 degrees to the tangent line represents the directions which the curve at that point can be moved to.

Can anybody shed any light on how I can manipulate the co-ordinates such that I can smooth out the curve but making sure that any movement is tangential.

Thank you or your help.

Attachments

• Curve Diagram Problem.pdf
    18.7 KB · Views: 238
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about railroad tracks, but curves on roads are usually laid out by finding the circular arc that joins two tangents to the road. To lay out your track that way using the tangents at D and G, you would have to put additional points and tangents between D and G and use an "S" shaped figure with two curves going in opposite directions.

It looks simpler to join the the tangents at C and G with a circular arc.

1. How do I determine the appropriate X, Y, and Z coordinates for my curve?

To determine the appropriate coordinates for your curve, you will need to consider the specific design requirements and the type of curve you are trying to create. It may be helpful to consult with a mathematician or engineer for assistance in determining the most accurate and efficient coordinates for your project.

2. Can I use any type of coordinate system to re-design a curve?

Yes, you can use various types of coordinate systems such as Cartesian, polar, or parametric coordinates to re-design a curve. The type of system you choose will depend on the complexity and specific characteristics of your curve.

3. How can I ensure that my re-designed curve will meet my desired specifications?

To ensure that your re-designed curve meets your desired specifications, it is important to carefully analyze and adjust the coordinates to ensure they accurately represent the intended shape and characteristics of the curve. It may also be helpful to use computer software or mathematical equations to validate and verify the accuracy of your design.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when re-designing a curve using coordinates?

Some common mistakes to avoid when re-designing a curve using coordinates include not accounting for all necessary dimensions, using incorrect formulas or equations, and not adjusting the coordinates to accurately represent the desired curve. It is also important to thoroughly double-check your work for any errors or miscalculations.

5. Can I use interpolation or extrapolation methods to determine coordinates for my curve?

Yes, interpolation and extrapolation methods can be used to determine coordinates for a curve. These methods involve using known data points to estimate the coordinates for other points along the curve. However, it is important to note that these methods may not always produce accurate results, so it is best to use them with caution and verify the coordinates using other methods as well.