Make a Mechanical Timer: Spring vs Counterweight

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a mechanical timer to control a pedestal fan. The options for energy storage are a spiral spring or a counterweight, with the recommendation being a spring drive for its compactness and flexibility. To turn off the fan, a lever mechanism can be used to push the existing switch at the set time.
Kaycee92
Hi,

I am thinking of making a mechanical timer to control a pedestal fan.

I want do a completely mechanical one, just for the feel of it.

For the energy storage method, I have two options, either a spiral spring or a counterweight. Which one should I use? Any good reading material on this?

I can take care of gearing. The fan's plug is connected to a 3 pin socket beside the switch. How do I cut off the supply (turn off the switch) when the timer stops?

Thanks,
Chaitanya.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A gravity drive (weight) will generally require that the system not be portable at all as the gravity drive requires a long fall from a fixed point. A spring drive is compact, not much disturbed by being moved around, and generally provides more flexibility in the application. The gravity drive is somewhat more precise than the spring drive, but that probably is not an issue here.

You can find lever mechanisms that will simply come out to push the existing switch at the appointed time to turn the fan off, so that is a simple solutionsing the existing switch.

1. What is a mechanical timer?

A mechanical timer is a device used to measure and track time. It typically involves a series of gears, springs, and other mechanical components that work together to create a regular and predictable movement.

2. How does a mechanical timer work?

A mechanical timer works by using either a spring or a counterweight. When the timer is set, the spring or counterweight is wound up, which creates potential energy. As the timer runs, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the gears to turn and the timer to count down.

3. What is the difference between a spring and counterweight in a mechanical timer?

A spring and counterweight are two different types of mechanisms used to power a mechanical timer. A spring is a coiled piece of metal that stores potential energy when wound up, while a counterweight is a heavy object that drops under the force of gravity to provide energy. Both mechanisms achieve the same goal of powering the timer, but they work in slightly different ways.

4. Which is better, a spring or counterweight for a mechanical timer?

The choice between a spring or counterweight for a mechanical timer depends on the specific application and personal preference. Springs are typically easier to manufacture and more precise, while counterweights may be more durable and require less maintenance. It is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of the timer when choosing between a spring or counterweight.

5. Can a mechanical timer be used for precise timing?

Yes, a mechanical timer can be used for precise timing. However, it may not be as accurate as an electronic timer. The accuracy of a mechanical timer depends on the quality of its components and how well it is maintained. Regular maintenance, such as lubrication and cleaning, can help improve the accuracy of a mechanical timer.