Explaining Newton's Cradle: The Science Behind the Single Ball Effect

• Thread starter FulhamFan3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, when a ball collides with a group in Newton's Cradle, only one ball comes out because of elastic collisions and the conservation of momentum and energy. This is the same reason why in a similar scenario with two balls, only one ball comes out with twice the speed. However, this behavior is also influenced by the slight compression of the balls on impact, resulting in a delay between the movements of each ball.
FulhamFan3
Everyone here should be familiar with the office toy known as Newton's Cradle where a ball collides with a group of balls and a ball moves out the other side.

What I want to know is when a ball collides with the group why does only one ball come out? Why doesn't two balls come out at half the speed? I mean momentum is conserved in both situations.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because the collision is elastic. So energy has to be conserved as well. The math is really easy for balls of equal mass in 1D.

yeah, I've been thinking about it for days but it's not until i type it in and send it that i realized this. Don't you hate it when that happens.

wait. i have a similar problem. in physics today, we asked the question, "if a person takes 2 balls and pulls back, and releases, why doesn't a single ball on the other side pop out with twice the speed?"
please help!

The answer is the same as it was when this was asked 5 years ago. Please read the above posting.

well how would one solve this problem mathematically?

Read post #2.

Yeah, the real explanation doesn't have anything to do with the conservation of anything for the system, of course those are followed but that isn't why it happens. It happens because one ball whacks another and stops because they have equal mass (just like a billiard ball), then the newly moving ball moves just a tiny bit and whacks the other one, then again, and again. Each ball that did the whacking is stopped because they have equal mass, or it transfers all of it's momentum and energy (just like a billiard ball). If you bring up two balls and let em go then two pop out, then ask, why does that happen? It is because of the same reason, the first ball whacks the other stationary ball, then the second moving ball whacks the newly stationary ball, blah blah, it is as if you dropped them seperately, but only a tiny fraction of time apart. This needs a picture but I am too lazy to do it, but think about it.

The reason that the falling ball behaves as if it only hit one ball is because in the real world there is a slight compression of the balls on impact, so there is a delay between when the first stationary ball moves, and the next stationary ball etc.

Last edited:

1. What is Newton's Cradle?

Newton's Cradle is a device that demonstrates the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. It consists of a series of suspended metal balls that are able to transfer energy and momentum to each other through collisions.

2. How does Newton's Cradle work?

The balls in Newton's Cradle are suspended using wires or strings that allow them to swing freely. When one ball on the end is pulled back and released, it collides with the next ball in line, transferring its energy and momentum. This process continues until the ball on the other end is pushed up and then falls back down, starting the cycle again.

3. What is the significance of Newton's Cradle?

Newton's Cradle is significant because it demonstrates the principles of conservation of momentum and energy, which are fundamental laws of physics. It also shows how a small initial force can lead to a larger reaction due to the transfer of energy and momentum.

4. How many balls are needed for Newton's Cradle to work?

Newton's Cradle typically consists of 5 or 7 balls, but it can work with any odd number of balls. However, the more balls there are, the longer the cycle of collisions will continue.

5. Can Newton's Cradle be used as a power source?

No, Newton's Cradle cannot be used as a sustainable power source. While it demonstrates the transfer of energy, the amount of energy lost through friction and air resistance makes it an inefficient source of energy.