Which software for a stress-strain curve?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of graphing a stress-strain curve with specific parameters using software such as Excel and Octave. The person is looking for an easier solution and is unsure of how to properly implement the parameters. The expert suggests using Excel and confirms its capability for the calculations. The person will try again with Excel.
hern
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to draw a stress-strain curve with data collected from the test itself. I have no problem plotting the points obtained, but I can't figure out how to graphically or at least with some kind of software aid, to get results (σ0.2, σmax, σ0.5, and so on).

I tryed with excel, but even though I can draw lines on the graphic by hand, it's not the most precise thing. Also with octave, but drawing aditional lines over the curve involves interpolation and it's lots of work for just a few lines.

Does somebody have an "easy" solution for this?

cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Excel is more than capable of calculating all of the parameters you have listed, it need only be properly implemented.

Do you understand what each of the parameters is, and how they are calculated?

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

Yes I understand the parameters, and even with the ones I'm not so sure about, I have a few textbooks to go to.

My question was mainly because of the hook's line (I don't know the actual name in english), and the other parallel lines I have to draw (with the same slope, but starting from a given percentage of deformation).

Now that you state it so firmly, I guess it really could be done with excel, but as it is a discrete set of data, it wouldn't be so "direct" to do the calculations.

I'll give it another try, maybe it's simpler than I thought.

Thanks again.

Yes excel is a great and powerful tool for us to work with. I would also use it for this calculations

1. What is a stress-strain curve and why is it important?

A stress-strain curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the amount of stress applied to a material and the resulting strain that occurs. This curve can provide valuable information about the mechanical properties of a material, such as its strength, stiffness, and elasticity.

2. What software can be used to create a stress-strain curve?

There are various software options available for creating a stress-strain curve, such as MATLAB, Origin, and Excel. Additionally, some materials testing machines come with built-in software for generating these curves.

3. How do I choose the right software for my needs?

When selecting software for creating a stress-strain curve, consider factors such as your budget, the complexity of your experiment, and the level of customization you require. It may also be helpful to read reviews and consult with colleagues or experts in the field.

4. Can I import my data from a materials testing machine into the software?

Yes, many software programs allow for the import of data from materials testing machines, making it easier to generate stress-strain curves. However, it is important to ensure that the software is compatible with your specific machine and data format.

5. Are there any free software options for creating stress-strain curves?

Yes, there are some free software options available, such as GraphPad Prism and OpenOffice Calc. However, these may have limited features compared to paid software options. It is important to carefully evaluate the capabilities and limitations of any free software before using it for creating stress-strain curves.