Sound wave interference destructive interference problem?

In summary, the path difference (m+0.5)wavelength is the length of the segment from the point where the destructive interference occurs to the point where the two waves intersect.
Douna2nd

Homework Statement

Two identical loud speakers placed at A and B 2m apart produce sound waves of frequency 440 HZ and with a velocity 320 m/sec a small microphone was used and placed at C along a perpendicular line from AB if there will be a destructive interference at C find the length of BC, please break the answer down for me and explain it in details,

Homework Equations

i guess v=f x wave length
path difference (m+0.5)wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll start by getting the wave length = velocity/frequency = 320/440= 8/11 but then what ? i don't see any way that could led me to length of BC

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Destructive interference occurs where a peak from one speaker meets a trough from the other. So perhaps draw circles of appropriate radius centered on a and b?

i don't understand how can a wave coming from speaker A interfere with wave coming from B at C ! maybe draw a line from A to C and make some sort of triangle, but i don't see where this may get me ?

Yes, draw a line from A to C. And, also draw a line from B to C.

If there is destructive interference, there is something you can say about the lengths of those two line segments.

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

Hey, ! Thanks, and i finally got the answer when i was in the physics class, and our teacher was like who got this ? and some guy raised his hand and told him the answer and how there are infinite answers because C could be anywhere, and I'm really sad that i got really shy and didn't have the nerve to say in a loud voice the answer and our teacher kept on praising this guy and telling him how smart he is and i got REALLY SUPER jealous, but it's not that hard anyway eh ?.

1. What is sound wave interference?

Sound wave interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more sound waves meet and interact with each other. This interaction can result in a change in the overall amplitude or intensity of the sound waves.

2. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is a type of sound wave interference where two sound waves with opposite amplitudes and frequencies meet and cancel each other out. This results in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the sound waves.

3. How does destructive interference affect sound quality?

Destructive interference can significantly impact the quality of sound. When sound waves cancel each other out, it can result in a loss of clarity and loudness, making the sound appear muffled or distorted.

4. What causes destructive interference in sound waves?

Destructive interference occurs when two or more sound waves with opposite amplitudes and frequencies meet and interact. This can happen due to various factors such as the distance between the sound sources, the angle of the sound waves, and the properties of the medium the sound is traveling through.

5. How can we minimize destructive interference in sound waves?

Minimizing destructive interference in sound waves can be achieved by adjusting the distance and angle between the sound sources, using sound-absorbing materials to reduce reflections, and choosing the right frequency and amplitude for the sound waves to minimize cancellation.