Maximizing Quadcopter Power: Best Wire Options for Lightweight Tether Design

• Thread starter Rick13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadcopter
In summary, the goal is to build a quadcopter powered from the ground. The quadcopter requires 800-1000 watts at full power and the plan is to send high voltage DC up the tether to minimize the weight of the wire. The lifting capacity of the quad is 15lbs and the cable/wire needs to be lightweight enough to reach 300ft. A high voltage DC-DC converter will be used onboard to step down the voltage to 22.2v-29.6v. The recommended voltage for the tether wire is SELV (<50Vrms or <120Vdc) for safety purposes. The speaker wire is a good option for the cable, with the chosen wire gauge having minimal voltage drop
Rick13
I am trying to build a quadcopter that is powered from the ground.

The quadcopter requires 800-1000 watts when at full power.

I want to send high voltage DC up the tether so the overall gauge of the wire is smaller, and therefore lightweight.

Lifting capacity of the quad is 15lbs, so I need to find a cable/wire that is lightweight enough to have a length of around 300ft.

A high voltage DC-DC converter will be used onboard the quad to step down the voltage to around 22.2v-29.6v

What voltage and current would I need to send UP the wire to meet the requirements at the quad?

What kind of wire could handle enough power for the quad to reach 300ft, while staying under 15lbs? Of course the higher the quad, the heavier the wire becomes.

Pardon my ignorance, just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rick13 said:
I am trying to build a quadcopter that is powered from the ground.

The quadcopter requires 800-1000 watts when at full power.

I want to send high voltage DC up the tether so the overall gauge of the wire is smaller, and therefore lightweight.

Lifting capacity of the quad is 15lbs, so I need to find a cable/wire that is lightweight enough to have a length of around 300ft.

A high voltage DC-DC converter will be used onboard the quad to step down the voltage to around 22.2v-29.6v

What voltage and current would I need to send UP the wire to meet the requirements at the quad?

What kind of wire could handle enough power for the quad to reach 300ft, while staying under 15lbs? Of course the higher the quad, the heavier the wire becomes.

Pardon my ignorance, just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

Welcome to the PF.

It would be best if you stayed with SELV (safety extra low voltage) on the tether wire -- using higher voltages than that would be pretty unsafe, given the application.

SELV is <50Vrms or <120Vdc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SELV#Separated_or_safety_extra-low_voltage_.28SELV.29

Are you going to be using batteries to supply power, or do you have access to an AC Mains connection?

I'd probably start with looking at speaker wire for the actual cable. It's reasonably flexible, and comes in different wire gauge sizes. You will want to size it so there are only a few volts drop from the source to the copter. Use the 1000W number and the supply voltage to figure out the current with P=VI, and then choose a wire gauge that only drops a few volts in the 300 feet of cable. You get the resistance per foot for the cable from wire tables (easy to find with a google search). Remember that the current goes up and back, so you want only a few volts of drop in the 600 foot round-trip run.

1. What is a tethered quadcopter?

A tethered quadcopter is a type of drone that is connected to the ground by a tether or cable. This allows it to fly for longer periods of time and at higher altitudes compared to traditional drones that rely on batteries.

2. How does a tethered quadcopter work?

A tethered quadcopter works by using a tether or cable to provide both power and communication between the drone and the ground station. The tether also serves as a safety mechanism, preventing the drone from flying away or crashing if it loses power or connection.

3. What are the advantages of using a tethered quadcopter?

Some advantages of using a tethered quadcopter include longer flight times, increased stability and control, and the ability to fly in areas where traditional drones may not be allowed, such as near airports or stadiums.

4. What are the applications of tethered quadcopters?

Tethered quadcopters have a variety of applications, including aerial photography and videography, surveillance and security, search and rescue operations, and even delivery services.

5. Are there any limitations to using a tethered quadcopter?

Some limitations of using a tethered quadcopter include the need for a ground station and the limited range of the drone due to the length of the tether. Weather conditions, such as wind, can also affect the flight of a tethered quadcopter.