Weight supported by two supports

• Thread starter abe_cooldude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a horizontal beam that is supported by two vertical supports. The weight of the beam, length, and locations of the supports are known. The goal is to determine the mass carried by support 2 and then add an additional 5G of force to the mass. The conversation mentions using a summation of moments and forces to solve the problem, and suggests starting by summing moments about support 1. It also highlights the importance of drawing a diagram and considering the reactive forces at the supports. The second part of the question about adding the additional force is not entirely clear.
abe_cooldude
Hi all,

I am working on a problem that I can't even seem to figure out where to start. I have a horizontal beam of known weight (1100lbs, or 4893N). It is 1714.5mm long, and is supported by two vertical supports, which are at known location along the beam (Support 1 @ 200mm; support 2 @ 1150mm). I am trying to figure out how much mass (in Newtons) is carried by support 2, and then I want to add additional 5G of force to the mass supported by support 2 straight down in vertical direction.

I know the starting point would be:
sum of moments = sum of forces = 0
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]M = [itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = 0

I know I do something with the reaction forces at the support, but not sure.

Any help to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
abe_cooldude: Yes, start by performing a summation of moment about support 1, then solve for the reaction force at support 2.

Is the additional 5 g acceleration applied only to the mass supported by support 2? Or is an additional 5 g also applied to the mass supported by support 1? If the latter, then just multiply the beam weight by 6, then solve for the reaction force at support 2 again, as you did before.

First, draw a diagram! Like you say, for the system to remain in equilibrium the forces (so the system doesn't accelerate) and the moments (so the system doesn't rotate) need to sum to 0.

Like nvn said I would start by summing moments about support 1 (remembering to consider the reactive force at support 2 as an unknown). If the horizontal beam is uniform it's entire weight will act at the centre of gravity, which will be in the middle. A moment is the magnitude of force * perpendicular distance from line of action of force.

Obviously for forces Reaction 1 + Reaction 2 = Weight of beam

Not entirely sure about the second part of your question, but hopefully you can work it out now :) Hope this helps.

2013-010.jpg

1. What is the concept of weight supported by two supports?

The concept of weight supported by two supports refers to the distribution of weight or load between two points or structures, in order to ensure stability and prevent collapse. This is a common principle used in engineering and construction to determine the structural integrity of a building or object.

2. How is the weight supported by two supports calculated?

The weight supported by two supports can be calculated by using the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on a body must be equal to zero. This involves considering the weight of the object, the forces acting on it, and the reactions at the two supports. The calculations can be complex and may involve advanced mathematical equations.

3. What factors can affect the weight supported by two supports?

Several factors can affect the weight supported by two supports, including the material and strength of the supports, the distance between the supports, and the weight and distribution of the load. Other external factors such as wind, earthquakes, and temperature can also impact the stability and weight-bearing capacity of the supports.

4. What are the different types of supports that can be used to bear weight?

There are various types of supports that can be used to bear weight, including columns, beams, arches, trusses, and cables. These supports have different structural properties and are used in different ways depending on the specific needs and requirements of a structure.

5. How can weight supported by two supports be increased?

The weight supported by two supports can be increased by using stronger and more durable materials for the supports, increasing the distance between the supports, and distributing the load evenly across the supports. Additionally, adding additional supports or reinforcements can also increase the weight-bearing capacity of a structure.