What causes electrons to move from the anode to the cathode in a galvanic cell?

In summary, the movement of electrons from the anode to the cathode in a galvanic cell occurs when a wire is connected between the two. While it is commonly stated that the electrons are attracted to the positive potential of the cathode, this is not entirely accurate. The concept of voltage, which is defined as the energy required to move a 1 coulomb test charge to a point, is often used to explain this phenomenon. However, it is important to note that there is still a net charge involved, as seen in the example of placing metal in water. In this situation, the metal becomes negatively charged due to the loss of positive ions, resulting in an electric field and a voltage between the two metals.
Jimmy87
In a galvanic cell, electrons are supplied by oxidation at the anode. I am struggling to find clarity on what makes the electrons move from the anode to the cathode when a wire is connected between the two. I have come across some texts on the internet that say the electrons are attracted to the positive potential (cathode) but they say that it is not strictly true to say that the electrons are attracted to the positively charged cathode. This has very much confused me. I thought you can only have a voltage when net charges are involved. If you have a positive point charge in space, then at a distance r away from this charge there will be a voltage - say 8 volts. This means it would take 8J to move a 1 coulomb test charge from infinity to that point. I was taught this concept of voltage to be the definition of voltage. So, how can electrons move to the cathode when it is not a source of net charge, i.e. there are no negative charges attracting it? Or even, how can the cathode be a source of positive potential without the notion of net charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is net charge. If you place a piece of metal into water it will become slightly charged. Usually negatively since the metal dissolves i.e. it looses positive metal ions which leaves excess electrons in the metal. So if you place a piece of zinc and copper in a cup of water both metals become charged negatively but since zinc reacts more strongly it gets a stronger charge. So in total you have an electric field between the two metals and therefore a voltage. This is however simplified. There are more reactions happening e.g. oxygen at the copper electrode reacting with OH- ions.

Likes 1 person

1. What is voltage and how is it measured?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter.

2. What is a galvanic cell and how does it work?

A galvanic cell, also known as a voltaic cell, is an electrochemical cell that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It consists of two half-cells, each containing a metal electrode and an electrolyte solution. When the two half-cells are connected, a chemical reaction occurs, causing a flow of electrons from one electrode to the other, generating an electric current.

3. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential difference, while current is the measure of the flow of electric charge. Voltage is measured in volts (V) and current is measured in amperes (A).

4. What factors affect the voltage of a galvanic cell?

The voltage of a galvanic cell is affected by the type of electrodes used, the concentration and nature of the electrolyte solution, and the temperature of the cell. Additionally, the voltage of a galvanic cell decreases over time as the reactants are consumed and the cell reaches equilibrium.

5. Can the voltage of a galvanic cell be increased?

Yes, the voltage of a galvanic cell can be increased by using more reactive metals as electrodes, increasing the concentration of the electrolyte solution, or using a different type of electrolyte solution. However, the maximum voltage that can be achieved is limited by the standard electrode potentials of the individual half-cells.