Lebanon After Syrian Withdrawal: Role of Religion in Conflict

• News
  • Thread starter Azimuth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of religion in conflicts, with a focus on Lebanon and its current situation following Syria's withdrawal of troops. The problems in Lebanon were initially rooted in religious conflicts, but the common hatred for Syria seemed to unite the people. There are differing opinions on what will happen now that Syria is no longer present, with some believing that civil war will break out again and others hopeful for democracy. However, there is also a sense of pessimism and concern for Lebanon's future.
Azimuth
So along the lines of the "role of religion in conflicts" thread, let's discuss Lebanon now that Syria has been 'forced' to withdrawl their troops. The problems in Lebanon originally stemmed from 'religios conflicts', though it seems that the hatred for Syria seemed to unite them. With Syria's rapid deployment (not sure if that's the right word) what will be Lebanon's fate?

Personally i think that the civil war will start up again, because god knows Pres. Habib won't to anything to actually help his country...but that is just my opinion, what do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Azimuth said:
Personally i think that the civil war will start up again, because god knows Pres. Habib won't to anything to actually help his country...but that is just my opinion, what do you guys think?
I think democracy has a real chance. The people appear to want it. However, I can't say I'm all that knowledgeable about the history there.

as long as syrian military was in lebanon there was not any major religious conflict. I'm also pessimistic and believe lebanon is going down the same path as before.

1. What was the role of religion in the conflict in Lebanon after the Syrian withdrawal?

Religion played a significant role in the conflict in Lebanon after the Syrian withdrawal. The country has a diverse religious landscape, with a majority of the population being split between Sunni and Shia Muslims, along with significant Christian and Druze communities. This religious divide has often been exploited by political leaders to gain power and influence, leading to tensions and violence between different religious groups.

2. How did the Syrian withdrawal impact the religious dynamic in Lebanon?

The Syrian withdrawal in 2005 had a significant impact on the religious dynamic in Lebanon. With the Syrian military presence gone, different religious and political groups vied for power and influence in the country. This led to increased polarization and sectarianism, with some groups feeling marginalized and excluded from the political process.

3. Did the religious divide in Lebanon worsen after the Syrian withdrawal?

The religious divide in Lebanon did worsen after the Syrian withdrawal. As different groups competed for power, political leaders often used religious rhetoric to mobilize their followers and gain support. This resulted in increased tensions and violence between different religious communities, leading to a worsening of the religious divide.

4. How has the international community responded to the role of religion in the conflict in Lebanon?

The international community has been concerned about the role of religion in the conflict in Lebanon and has made efforts to promote dialogue and reconciliation between different religious groups. However, their efforts have been limited, as the conflict is deeply rooted in political and economic factors as well.

5. What steps can be taken to address the role of religion in the conflict in Lebanon?

To address the role of religion in the conflict in Lebanon, it is crucial to address the underlying political and economic issues that have contributed to the tensions between different religious groups. It is also essential to promote interfaith dialogue and tolerance, as well as encouraging inclusive and representative political processes that do not marginalize any religious community.