I'm struggling in first year engineering

In summary, a 25-year-old individual who has been out of high school for 6 years is struggling in their first year of engineering after working as an electrical apprentice. They have already failed a math test and are feeling overwhelmed and stressed. They completed prerequisites at night school but are starting to doubt their ability to succeed in engineering due to their average performance in math and science. They seek advice and someone suggests dropping a class or two to lighten their load. Another person recommends seeking help from professors and TAs and managing their time effectively. The individual decides to withdraw from a course and join a study group. They also consider tutoring and realize that minor misunderstandings can make a significant difference in understanding concepts. They also wonder why there isn't a
Unidentified
Hello, I'm 25 and have been out of high school for about 6 years. Last month I started my first year in engineering after working as an electrical apprentice and I'm already falling behind in my math and physics courses. I've had one test in math and failed it and I have my first physics test next week and I don't feel prepared.
I'm so overwhelmed and stressed out that I can't get on track.
I've always wanted to become an engineer but to be honest I've always been average in math and the sciences. I completed all of my prerequisits at night school after working 10 hour shifts so I have the determination but I'm starting to think I don't have the brains for it.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Is there hope for me, or am I just delaying the inevitable?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know what it's like going back to school after the layoff. It can be really tough. The only thing, other than hang in there, that I can tell you is to look into the possibility of dropping a class or two to lighten your load so you can concentrate on the tougher classes. It may add a semester or two on to your planned stay at school but it will save your gpa and your sanity. It's pretty early in the term yet, so you may be able to do it at a reduced cost. Other than that, search out your profs, your TAs and anyone else who can sit down with you and hash out what is giving you the problems. You may also have to look into how you are managing your time. A big part of my undergrad was learning how to really manage where I spent my time.

Good luck.

P.S. I almost forgot...don't forget to use this board when it comes to technical or homework help when you need it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. After to talking with a couple of professors, I decided to withdraw from a course and pick it up in the summer. Hopefully that's enough to get back on track.

Oh and I was wondering why there isn't a civil/structural engineering forum on this board? Are there many of you out there?

I suppose there isn't enough discussion of only civil engineering to create a sub-category for it.

And welcome to PF! :)

Keep in mind we also have a https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 here with forums where you can ask questions about assignments, homework and other coursework related stuff.

There's even a brand new forum just for Engineering homework now! So, when you find yourself struggling to understand something, you can head over there and get some help. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, great forum!

A thing I did to help get myself back into school (I took about 3 years off) was to get into a study group. It's remarkable how much easier understanding concepts is when you have two or three people to bounce ideas off of.

Another option to consider is tutoring. Having been a tutor a little bit, it was amazing how many times a very minor misunderstanding would be the difference between a correct answer and a stumper of a question.

And having been on the flipside trying to work full time and struggling, it was again amazing how something tiny missed in class or as a tacit asumption by the prof or textbook made things near impossible. I was in a study group of what I'd consider bright guys and we'd really struggle with our dynamics class, visit the prof and we'd feel like we were doing simple math after getting clarity. One kid purchased a different textbook and had some luck getting a different perspective on some topics.

My physics II prof was quite upset that no one seemed to know how to solve his problems well and as a response bascially taught our study group calc I & II in our late night sessions once a week in the student union. We'd just look at each other and wonder what our GPAs and freetime would have been like if we'd had such a good teacher initially for calc.

Cliff_J said:
Having been a tutor a little bit, it was amazing how many times a very minor misunderstanding would be the difference between a correct answer and a stumper of a question.

No kidding. I remember in freshman chemistry we did several experiments involving pressure, temp, and volume of gases. We wrote a paper on the ideal gas law...however, I somehow was under the impression that we had to determine the "Ratio"...so I was freaking out and couldn't finish the paper. 30 seconds after class one day solved the dilemna: we didn't have to determine the ratio!

Unidentified said:
Oh and I was wondering why there isn't a civil/structural engineering forum on this board? Are there many of you out there?

Not much structural discussions here, Well I'm here :smile:

Cyclovenom said:
Not much structural discussions here, Well I'm here :smile:
funny, I always thought civil was one of the more common engineering disciplines!?
Anyway that's the route I'm going, I've always had a fascination with bridges, tunnels and any sort of massive structure:bugeye:

Same here!, :biggrin:, i especially like Bridges!.

Hey unidentified, it's normal to get rusty after such a long period...I dropped a year after my 1st nuclear engineering term, because i had some issues to deal with, and then when i was back i ahd really hard time to get along with the courses that I've excelled at before...

So don't worry, it's going to get much better by time, after several tries to concentrate, if eel better than ever, and even my professors have noticed it..

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Hey unidentified, it's normal to get rusty after such a long period...I dropped a year after my 1st nuclear engineering term, because i had some issues to deal with, and then when i was back i ahd really hard time to get along with the courses that I've excelled at before...
So don't worry, it's going to get much better by time, after several tries to concentrate, if eel better than ever, and even my professors have noticed it..

thanks man! I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one that struggles. Theres a lot of young guys straight out of high school that just breeze through this stuff, its pretty intimidating.
I really have a passion for engineering so I hope that'll get me through the program.

Cyclovenom said:
Same here!, :biggrin:, i especially like Bridges!.

I love bridges:!)
Its awesome, ever since I began my program, I've looked at everything in a new light. I'll stop and stare at a bridge and just think about all that went into the design and construction of it. Its hard to picture right now that someday I could be involved in the creation of something that big...hopefully

Cyclovenom, what area of civil do you work in?

Last edited:
Unidentified said:
thanks man!

U W, but I'm a girl:biggrin:

Nomy-the wanderer said:
U W, but I'm a girl:biggrin:

sorry, no offense or anything. I call everybody man, bad habbit:biggrin:

U remind me of a dear friend, he has the same bad habit :D

Unidentified said:
I love bridges:!)
Its awesome, ever since I began my program, I've looked at everything in a new light. I'll stop and stare at a bridge and just think about all that went into the design and construction of it. Its hard to picture right now that someday I could be involved in the creation of something that big...hopefully
Cyclovenom, what area of civil do you work in?

:biggrin:, meh i am just an undergrad like you, but i have done some interns already basicly helping out with the design using applications such as ETABS, SAPS and SAFE. I'm a junior.

Unidentified said:
I'm so overwhelmed and stressed out that I can't get on track.
I've always wanted to become an engineer but to be honest I've always been average in math and the sciences. I completed all of my prerequisits at night school after working 10 hour shifts so I have the determination but I'm starting to think I don't have the brains for it.

Don't worry, you are not alone. I just turned fifty and "should" graduate in May. Math is still hard, but the difference is I am more accustomed to it and less fearful. I will be taking a course in vibrations and I am dreading having to re-learn Fourier series, but I know the professor and what kind of help he offers during his office hours. As far as your schedule is concerned, what matters is that the end result gets nearer, not how slow the end is approaching. What started out (I thought) as a six year program working part time has turned into a ten year program. I had to retake differenial equations twice, and I still get confused at times.

Bill

1. Why am I struggling in first year engineering?

There can be a variety of reasons why a student may struggle in first year engineering. Some common factors include a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts, difficulty adjusting to the rigorous workload, or not having adequate study habits.

2. How can I improve my grades in first year engineering?

Improving your grades in first year engineering requires a combination of hard work and effective study strategies. Some tips include attending all lectures and labs, seeking help from professors and teaching assistants, joining a study group, and practicing problems regularly.

3. Is it normal to struggle in first year engineering?

Yes, it is normal to struggle in first year engineering. Many students find the transition from high school to university challenging, and engineering courses can be particularly demanding. It is important to seek help and stay motivated, as these struggles can ultimately lead to growth and success.

4. What resources are available to help me with my struggles in first year engineering?

There are many resources available to help students struggling in first year engineering. These may include tutoring services, office hours with professors and teaching assistants, study centers, and online resources such as practice problems and video lectures.

5. Should I consider dropping out of first year engineering if I am struggling?

It is not advisable to drop out of first year engineering solely because of struggles. Engineering can be a challenging field, but with perseverance and dedication, many students are able to overcome their struggles and succeed. It is important to seek help and explore different strategies before making a decision to drop out.