Understanding Pressure & Gas in Physics: Explained with Examples

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of physics, specifically focusing on properties of fluids at rest and the clinical effects of pressure and gases. The individual is struggling to understand the concepts without a textbook and is seeking help or resources to better understand the material. Topics discussed include Pascal's principle, principles of pressure measurement, the hydraulic press, Archimedes' principle, and Dalton's law. The individual is advised to not wait until the last minute and to utilize resources such as the library or online encyclopedias for more information.
mathaTon
Hi everyone

I have a physics test tomarrow. Unfortunately we never had a physics textbook so I never understood what our Instructor was talking about. I have notes. but it is not helping. I have researched Nasa, unable to find an easy explanation to these topics.

Can You redirect me to the right direction or try explaning some of the general concepts. I am an idoit, when it comes to Physics.:cry:

I will be appreciate any inputs.
SECTION 1 - PROPERTIES of FLUIDS at REST
1. The atmospheric Pressure and Oxygen concentration..how does it differ at sea level or altitute?
2. ----------
3. Pascal's Principle
4. Principles of Pressure Measurement
5. The Hydraulic Press
6. Archimedes' Principle

SECTION 2 - CLINICAL EFFECTS of PRESSURE and GASES
1. Dalton's Law
2. Partial Pressure and Fractional Inspired Gas Concentrations

Physics news on Phys.org
You should never wait for the last minute for these things. You should have gone to the library or something.

3. Pascal's principle
Pascal's principle states that the pressure exerted on a fluid is distributed equally throughout the fluid. The hydraulic jack is an application of this theory.
By Pascal's principle,
http://www.scientia.org/cadonline/Physics/fluids/gifs/image27.gif
http://www.scientia.org/cadonline/Physics/fluids/gifs/image28.gif

6.Archimedes' Principle

An object is buoyed up with a force equal to the weight of the liquid it displaces.

1.Dalton's Law

The Total Pressure of a gas mixture is the sum of the Partial Pressure of each gas.
P total = P1 + P2 + P3 + ...Pn

The Hydraulic Presshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_Press

You could search the free online encyclopedia - Wikipedia for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is pressure in physics?

Pressure in physics is defined as the force applied per unit area. It is a measure of the amount of force exerted on a given area. In other words, it is the amount of force distributed over a surface.

2. How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

3. What are some examples of pressure in everyday life?

Some common examples of pressure in everyday life include the pressure we feel when sitting on a chair, the pressure exerted by a car tire on the road, and the pressure of a gas inside a balloon.

4. How does gas pressure work?

Gas pressure is caused by the constant movement of gas molecules, which collide with the walls of their container. These collisions create a force that is spread out over the area of the container, resulting in gas pressure.

5. How does temperature affect gas pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, the temperature of a gas is directly proportional to its pressure. This means that as temperature increases, so does the pressure of the gas, and vice versa.