Angular acceleration & cylinder

In summary, a cylinder of mass 1.59 kg pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.750 kg mass, i.e., F = 7.357 N. The angular acceleration of the cylinder is 155.9 rad/s^2.
Punchlinegirl
M, a solid cylinder (M=1.59 kg, R=0.127 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.750 kg mass, i.e., F = 7.357 N. Calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder.
I used,
I*alpha= mgr
(1/2)mr^2 *alpha= mgr
(1/2)(1.59)(.127)^2 * alpha= (1.59)(9.8)(.127)
Solving for alpha gave me 155.9 rad/s^2
which wasn't right. Can someone help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you forget the "rotational Inertia" of the hanging mass?
Include the .75 kg mass at the R^2 where the string joins.

Otherwise, you have to use the Tension in the string, rather than mg,
to provide torque on the disk. (with mg - T causing ma of the hanger).

so would I do..
(1/2)(1.59+ .75)(.127)^2 * alpha= (1.59)(9.8)(.127)

I'm a little confused about where the .75 comes into it

Inertias add.
IF you actually HAVE a hanging mass on the string you'd do
I_total = I_disk + I_hanger = (1/2)(1.59)(.127)^2 + (.75)(.127)^2 .

But the wording in the problem is peculiar, you might NOT have a hanger.

You somehow used the weight of the cylinder (rather than 7.36 N) to provide the torque which is supposed to angularly accelerate the cylinder.
Sorry I hadn't noticed it before, the wording is really distracting.

Ok I figured out what I was doing wrong and got the right answer.. it was 72.9 rad/s^2.
The second part says if instead of the force F an actual mass m= .750 kg is hung from the string, find the angular acceleration of the cylinder. I got this part it was 37.5 rad/s^2.
The third question says how far does m travel downward between 0.530 s and 0.730 s after the motion begins?

I used a= delta w/delta t
37.5= delta w/ .2
delta w= 7.5 rad/s
then, delta w= delta theta/ delta t
7.5= delta theta/ .2
so theta =1.5 m
this isn't right.
Can someone help me? Thanks.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity of a rotating body. It is a measure of how quickly the speed of rotation of an object is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of the rotation. Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the linear acceleration by the radius of the rotation.

3. What is a cylinder?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with two circular bases connected by a curved surface. It is a commonly used shape in engineering and mathematics.

4. How does angular acceleration affect a cylinder?

Angular acceleration affects a cylinder by changing its speed of rotation. As angular acceleration increases, the cylinder will rotate at a faster rate. This can also cause changes in the cylinder's kinetic energy.

5. How is angular acceleration calculated for a cylinder?

Angular acceleration for a cylinder can be calculated using the formula α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.