Computer Engineering vs Computer Science

In summary: Thanks for the input! In summary, it seems that if you want to pursue a career in software engineering, a degree in computer science would be a better path to take.
Ithryndil
I have recently decided to pursue a career in either two fields. I am having difficulty choosing which degree / field I should go into. I would like to be a software engineer and will be going to the University of Arizona. Here's a link to their computer engineering page with a four year outline.

http://www.ece.arizona.edu/prospective-undergrads.php"

Here's a link to their computer science page with their requirements for the degree:

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/undergrad/admission.html"

I have decided to go into this field as opposed to either physics or astronomy because I feel it suits my interests better. As I said, I am not sure which route to pursue as both sound interesting. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you are wanting to do software, Comp Sci would probably be the path to take. It doesn't look like the Engineering school has a software engineering program. Computer Engineering will deal with the design of hardware.

Thanks. It seems many people say to go into Computer Engineering if you want to deal with both hardware and software, which I do, however, the Computer Engineering school seems to lack extensive computer programming courses that would be necessary for a software engineering degree.

You do get 12 hours of electives in the senior year of the CE track, plus it looks like part of the track involves some discrete structures courses, and a algorithms course.

The Comp Sci department doesn't appear to specialize in Software Engineering either. It looks like they do have one course, but that is it.

Perhaps you can contact both departments and get a better feel for which path would suit you best.

Eventually I will need to. It looks like with the computer science degree the courses add up to a max of 91 credit hours...meaning I would have about 30 credits to spend on a minor, such as computer engineering (however, I was hoping to minor in something different).

What is the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

Computer Engineering and Computer Science are closely related fields, but there are some key differences. Computer Engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of computer hardware and systems. This includes things like microprocessors, circuit design, and computer architecture. Computer Science, on the other hand, focuses on the theoretical and practical aspects of computing and software development. This includes topics like algorithms, programming languages, and data structures.

Do Computer Engineers and Computer Scientists have different job roles?

Yes, while there is some overlap in job roles, there are also distinct differences. Computer Engineers may work in roles such as hardware design, system maintenance, or embedded systems development. Computer Scientists may work in roles such as software development, data analysis, or artificial intelligence research.

Which field offers better job opportunities?

Both Computer Engineering and Computer Science offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries. However, the demand for Computer Scientists is currently higher due to the increasing importance of software and data in today's world. This trend is expected to continue in the future.

Is one field more challenging than the other?

Both fields are challenging in their own ways. Computer Engineering requires a strong understanding of hardware and low-level programming, while Computer Science requires a strong understanding of algorithms and high-level programming. Ultimately, the level of difficulty will depend on an individual's strengths and interests.

Can I pursue both Computer Engineering and Computer Science at the same time?

While it is possible to study both fields, it may be challenging due to the different skill sets and knowledge required. It may be more beneficial to specialize in one field and gain a strong foundation before branching out into the other. However, there are also interdisciplinary programs that combine elements of both fields, such as computer engineering and computer science or computer science and data science.