General Solution to the Diff. Eq. dy/dt = ty

In summary, the person is trying to solve for y from the equation dy/dt = t/(t^2y + y), but is lost and needs help. They wrote y dy = (t dt)/(t^2 + 1), which is separable, and then integrated.
the7joker7

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the differential equation specified.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] = ty.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know the answer to be ke[tex]^{t^{2}/2}[/tex], but can't figure out how it got here. I'm rusty with my integrals and am just really starting diff eqs, but I think I'm just supposed to take the integral of ty (which is (t^2y)/2 i believe) and add a + c to the end, c being some constant, so I'm confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this might be a logical first step: dy/y = t dt. Now integrate that.

dy/y = t dt

The integral of that would be...

dy = t^2/2

So

(t^2/2)/dt = ty

t^2/2 = ty dt

Where do I go from here?

No. You might want to brush up on your integrals. The integral of dy/y is not dy but rather log(y). Therefore, your equation should be?

log(y) = t^2/2

So y = e^(t^2/2)

Alright. And the k is because it's a general equation and k needs to be there so it can be solved for any initial condition. But why is the k being multiplied and not added?

Well, the equation should read: log(y) = t^2/2 + C; therefore, y = e^(t^2/2 + C) = e^(t^2/2)e^C. We let e^C = k and the equation reads: y = ke^(t^2/2)

Just to be sure, is the basic starting step for all problems of this type getting dy/y?

Like if I have the same question with dy/dt = t/(t^2y + y), I would try to get dy/y on one side?

The basic goal is to get y and dy on one side, and t and dt on the other, which is called separation. Your example differential equation is not separable, if I understand what you wrote. Is the first term in the denominator t^(2y) or is it t^2 * y? If it's the first, your example isn't separable.

Oops, my bad. It's the 2nd one.

dy/dt = t/((t^2)y + y)

Lesse

dy/dt = t/((t^2)y + y)

dy/y = t/((t^2)y^2 + y^2) dt

dy/y * y^2 + y^2 = t/(t^2) dt

dy/y * 2(y^2) = 1/t

ln(y) * 2(y^3/3) = 1/t

Ugh...I dunno, something in that ballpark? I'm confused...

I don't believe that's quite right. Your initial equation is: dy/dt = t/(y(t^2 + 1) correct? Then we claim that y dy = (t dt)/(t^2 + 1) which we then integrate.

These are called SEPARABLE DEs. Separable because we can separate them into f(y) dy = g(t) dt. And then integrate both sides. This is also why DE requires you to do well in Calculus classes so you don't have to think about how to integrate :) This is also why separable DEs are introduced in Calc 2(I guess), to give you a flavor of what to come.

y dy = (t dt)/(t^2 + 1)

y^2/2 = (t dt/t^2) + t dt (If I understand correctly, this is separating?)

y^2/2 = ((t^2)/2)/t^2 + t^2/2

y^2/2 = 1/2 + t^2/2

y^2 = 1/4 + t^2/4

y = sqrt(k(.25 + t^2/4))

Eh?

No the separating was the process of writing dy/dt = g(t)/f(y) as f(y) dy = g(t) dt.

a/(b+c) is definitely not a/b + a/c, you should remember that from algebra.

You should know how to integrate t dt/(t^2 + 1) from calculus.

In the case that you're uncertain how to integrate t dt/(t^2 + 1) use the substitution u = t^2 + 1. However, you really should learn how to do these steps and properly apply elementary algebra - especially is you're working with DEs.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to describe various physical phenomena and is a fundamental tool in many areas of science and engineering.

What is a general solution to a differential equation?

A general solution to a differential equation is a solution that contains all possible solutions to the equation. It is typically expressed in terms of one or more arbitrary constants, which can take on different values to represent different specific solutions.

How do you find the general solution to a differential equation?

To find the general solution to a differential equation, you must first solve the equation by using integration or other methods to find a particular solution. Then, you can add any necessary arbitrary constants to the particular solution to create the general solution.

What is the specific solution to the differential equation dy/dt = ty?

The specific solution to the differential equation dy/dt = ty is y = Ce^(t^2/2), where C is an arbitrary constant. This can be derived by solving the differential equation using integration and then substituting in the arbitrary constant.

What is the meaning of the arbitrary constant in the general solution to dy/dt = ty?

The arbitrary constant in the general solution accounts for the fact that there are infinitely many possible solutions to the differential equation. It allows us to express the general solution as a family of curves, rather than a single specific curve.