Physics with No mathematics background

In summary: Calculus_Lifesaver.htmlIn summary, the conversation discusses the need for a basic understanding of mathematics in order to study physics. The recommended books for learning mathematics for physics are "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L.Boas and "Mathematical Methods for Science Students" by L. Stephenson. However, it is noted that these books assume prior knowledge of calculus. Other suggestions for introductory calculus books and resources are also provided. It is emphasized that a strong understanding of mathematics is crucial for learning physics.
kiucheng
I had no mathematics and physics background during my undergraduate studies. Due to some reason, I have to study Physics now. I have to found some book on Mathematics for Physics and I found the below two on Amazon:
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Mary L.Boas
Mathematical Methods for Science Students by L. Stephenson
Are the above suitable? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
These books expect that you have gone through at least the calculus sequence (at least the Boas book does). When you say you don't have any math background, what do you mean? What's the highest level of math you have had? Learning physics takes a lot of math preparation and learning.

If you are just interested in physics and don't have the time to learn the math, then I recommend getting Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov. There is also Gravity by George Gamow. In fact, any of Gamow's books would do. He writes books that are very fun to read, contain physics, but are accessible.

Also, The Quantum World by Kenneth Ford and Diane Goldstein is pretty good.

See this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2389844#post2389844" for more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had algebra but not calculus. What do you suggest if I have to go through the maths in Physics? I think I need some really basic maths training...Thanks

You really can't do any meaningful physics without calculus. So that's probably where you need to start. There are tons of threads here about introductory calculus books, so maybe you can look a few of those up.

Thanks a lot! It going to be tough...

Check out the video lectures on physics and calculus at ocw.mit.edu. They are in the audio/video section in Physics and Math, respectively. I have always learned best from lectures and these professors are top notch.

Just how poor is your mathematical skills..?

you are not ready for the two books you listed, there is a lot you need to know before that.

to begin with you want to do Calculus. I would say you want to MASTER at least the following: limit, continuity, sequence/series, derivatives, and integrals. You can further study them in 3-Dimensions...but this isn't that bad.whenever I'm trying to self-study something i have no clue of i buy two books. One of them would be a formal textbook and another would be informal guide/manual. Then study topic by topic from both. I suggest you do the same.

Search for Calculus guide/manual (and textbook as well) in amazon.com there are so many of them...good ones like "Calculus for Dummies", "How to Ace Calculus", "The Calculus Lifesaver".

P.S. i never used anyone of the listed above...but i hear they are good.

flyingpig said:
Just how poor is your mathematical skills..?

Just how poor are your mathematical skills. FTFY.

You need to tell us what level of physics you need to learn. Would a non-calculus-based first-year course be enough? Then you just need good algebra. However, as others have said, for anything meaningful you need much more math.

rubrix said:
"The Calculus Lifesaver"
I own this and it is good. It is not lightweight, though.

It has free videos...

http://press.princeton.edu/video/banner/

1. What is Physics with No mathematics background?

Physics with No mathematics background is a simplified approach to understanding the basic concepts of physics without using complex mathematical equations. It focuses on conceptual understanding and visual representation of physical phenomena.

2. Is it possible to learn Physics without a strong background in mathematics?

Yes, it is possible to learn the basics of physics without a strong background in mathematics. However, a basic understanding of mathematical concepts like algebra and geometry can greatly enhance your understanding of physics.

3. Can I still pursue a career in Physics without a mathematics background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in physics without a mathematics background. However, a strong understanding of mathematics is essential for higher level studies and research in physics.

4. How does studying Physics without mathematics differ from traditional Physics courses?

Studying Physics without mathematics focuses more on conceptual understanding and less on mathematical equations. It may also use visual aids and real-world examples to explain physical phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to studying Physics without a mathematics background?

Studying Physics without a mathematics background may limit your understanding of more complex physical concepts and theories. It may also limit your options for advanced studies and career opportunities in physics-related fields.