Open/Close doors to cooling the house?

• Thread starter hermtm2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary: She wants to cool the whole house, rather than leave the common rooms warm and the bedrooms freezing. Are you satisifed to have your bedroom cold at the expense of a warmer common area?Yes, I'm content to have my bedroom cold at the expense of a warmer common area. Thanks for the clarification.Yes, I'm content to have my bedroom cold at the expense of a warmer common area. Thanks for the clarification.
hermtm2
Hello.

I live in a house which has 4 bed rooms on second floor and living room and kitchen are on the first floor. The house has a central heating/cooling system.

At the last night my roommate asked me to open all doors on each room including bath rooms when I leave the house. She thinks that it will drop a temperature of inside house other than closing all doors becuase all cool air (in Summer) from each ceilling on the rooms will circulate to the entire house. I simply agreed with her at last night.

However I begin to doubt about her hypothsis because it could lose all cooled air in each room when all doors were closed. As long as I cannot prove a fault of the hypothsis, the door in my room has to be opened.

Thanks.

(If I post a wrong subjuct, please move or let me know)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One question: prior to opening the doors and windows, is the house, in fact, warmer than the outdoors, or is it cooler?

Usually inside is cooler than outside because A/C is on and all the windows are closed. I meat the doors of all rooms inside my house. Sorry to such a unclear statement.

hermtm2 said:
Usually inside is cooler than outside because A/C is on and all the windows are closed. I meat the doors of all rooms inside my house. Sorry to such a unclear statement.

Next question: your roommate knows it is cool inside the house because the A/C is on, and it is warm outside. Why does she think that opening the doors and windows of a cool house to the warm outdoors will "extra-cool" the house?

I'm going to guess there's more to this situation. Is it possible that she wants to be able to run the A/C only part of the time and the rest of the time let the house stay cool naturally?

No... When A/C is on and all windowns are closed, the cool air circulates in the house. In that condition, if all doors are closed on each room, the cool air remains in each room. However if their doors open, the air can circulates to the house as her theory. Usually the house is little warmmer than each room when the door is closed.

Last edited:
hermtm2 said:
No... When A/C is on and all windowns are closed, the cool air circulates in the house. In that condition, if all doors are closed on each room, the cool air remains in each room. However if their doors open, the air can circulates to the house as her theory. Usually the house is little warmmer than each room when the door is closed.

OK, let me see if I understand. The bedrooms have A/C vents, but the larger common areas of the house do not? With all doors closed, the bedrooms stay cool while the main areas stay warm?

Her plan is to let the cool air in the bedrooms flow into the main areas?

Sounds reasonable.

i suggest you borrow a couple thermometers and place them down stairs and u p stairs, and do as she asks..be sure to record the temperature .. then do the a/c thing and record the temps and show her...

Last edited:
Almost, but the living room and kitchen have A/C vents and work as much as the room ones. As I mentioned, we have a (normal) centual heating/cooling system which controls the temperature in my house. Even though the 1st floor has vents but there are still warmer than individual room when the doors are closed.

hermtm2 said:
Almost, but the living room and kitchen have A/C vents and work as much as the room ones. As I mentioned, we have a (normal) centual heating/cooling system which controls the temperature in my house. Even though the 1st floor has vents but there are still warmer than individual room when the doors are closed.

Sure that makes sense. A small bedroom with only one door and one window will more effectively retain its temperature than a large room with large windows, possibly open doors to other rooms, and people coming and going often.

So, now that I think I understand the arrangment, what exactly is the conflict between you two? She wants to cool the whole house, rather than leave the common rooms warm and the bedrooms freezing. Are you satisifed to have your bedroom cold at the expense of a warmer common area?

Is sounds like you both have solid logic, the conflict is simply about living preference.

good advice ...i revised my input upon refelction of wise advice from dave

1. How does opening or closing doors affect the cooling of a house?

Opening or closing doors can greatly impact the cooling of a house. When doors are left open, cold air from the air conditioning unit can escape, increasing the amount of time and energy needed to cool the house. On the other hand, closing doors can create a more confined space for the cool air to circulate, making it easier to maintain a lower temperature.

2. Should I close doors in rooms that are not being used?

Yes, closing doors in rooms that are not being used can help maintain a cooler temperature in the areas that are being occupied. This allows the air conditioning unit to focus on cooling a smaller space, leading to more efficient cooling and energy savings.

3. Is it better to leave doors open or closed when running the air conditioning?

It is better to close doors when running the air conditioning. This helps to contain the cool air and prevents it from escaping. Leaving doors open can also create uneven cooling in the house, as some areas may receive more cool air than others.

4. Should I close the door to a room with a window air conditioning unit?

Yes, it is important to keep the door closed to a room with a window air conditioning unit. This helps to maximize the cooling effect of the unit and prevents cool air from escaping to other areas of the house.

5. Is it necessary to keep doors closed at all times to maintain a cool house?

No, it is not necessary to keep doors closed at all times. In fact, opening doors and windows can help to improve air circulation and prevent the buildup of stale air. However, it is important to close doors when running the air conditioning to ensure efficient cooling.