Poynting vector in static electromagnetic field

In summary, we have a situation with static electric and magnetic fields, where the density of energy is u=E·D/2+B·H/2 and dU/dt=0, but there is still energy flowing as indicated by the non-zero Poynting vector S=ExH. This may be confusing, but it is explained by the presence of "hidden momentum" and the conservation of energy equation \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \nabla \bullet S = -J \bullet E. For more details, Jackson's book on Electrodynamics is a recommended resource.
zql
There is a situation, we have an electric field and a magnetic field, both are static. And we know the density of energy is u=E·D/2+B·H/2, so dU/dt=0, but Poynting vector S=ExH is not zero, which means energy is flowing. This confused me. Static field also has energy flux?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, correct. Look also for "hidden momentum".

can you give me more details?thanks.

zql said:
There is a situation, we have an electric field and a magnetic field, both are static. And we know the density of energy is u=E·D/2+B·H/2, so dU/dt=0, but Poynting vector S=ExH is not zero, which means energy is flowing. This confused me. Static field also has energy flux?
The static magnetic field is produced by a constant electric current. That means there is resistance, and energy is flowing into matter. "Hidden" momentum is not involved.

zql said:

The relevant expression, from the conservation of energy, is:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \nabla \bullet S = -J \bullet E[/tex].

Does this help?

Andy Resnick said:
The relevant expression, from the conservation of energy, is:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \nabla \bullet S = -J \bullet E[/tex].

Does this help?

I think I got it, thanks.

And how about "hidden momentum"? I didn't know about this.

Probably the best source on these matters is still Jackson's book on Electrodynamics.

1. What is the Poynting vector in a static electromagnetic field?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of electromagnetic energy flow in a given region of space. In a static electromagnetic field, the Poynting vector remains constant and represents the direction and rate of energy transfer.

2. How is the Poynting vector calculated?

The Poynting vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector at a given point in space. This results in a vector that describes the direction and magnitude of energy flow in that region of space.

3. What is the significance of the Poynting vector in electromagnetics?

The Poynting vector is significant because it represents the flow of energy in an electromagnetic field. It is used to calculate the power and intensity of electromagnetic radiation, and is a crucial component in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

4. What are the units of the Poynting vector?

The units of the Poynting vector are watts per square meter (W/m^2). This represents the amount of energy passing through a given area per unit time.

5. How does the Poynting vector relate to the electromagnetic wave equation?

The Poynting vector is a key component in the electromagnetic wave equation, which describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves. The Poynting vector is used to calculate the energy density and propagation of the electromagnetic wave. It also shows the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in an electromagnetic wave.