Nuclear Fusion for electricty, boils water and moves a turbine? Or how it works?

In summary, a fission reactor boils water to move a turbine, while a future nuclear fusion power plant would produce heat and boil water. If fusion is strictly used to produce thermal energy, which after all is kinetic energy of matter, then a working fluid could be used to drive a turbine which would turn a generator to produce electricity. However, one would have to specialize in plasma physics and nuclear engineering, or perhaps electrical engineering to pursue this type of career.
AlexES16
Hello. I know that most fission reactors boils water to move a turbine like this one.

Is the same for a future nuclear fusion power plant, produce heat and boil water?

Some light about this please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If fusion is strictly used to produce thermal energy, which after all is kinetic energy of matter, then yes a working fluid could be used to drive a turbine which would turn a generator to produce electricity.

Otherwise, one would employ either expansion of the plasma against the confining magnetic field, or use some direct conversion process in which the nuclei and electrons are separated in a magnetic field and basically sent to separate collectors. The electrons then form an electric (DC) current which is passed through the load.

Astronuc said:
If fusion is strictly used to produce thermal energy, which after all is kinetic energy of matter, then yes a working fluid could be used to drive a turbine which would turn a generator to produce electricity.

Otherwise, one would employ either expansion of the plasma against the confining magnetic field, or use some direct conversion process in which the nuclei and electrons are separated in a magnetic field and basically sent to separate collectors. The electrons then form an electric (DC) current which is passed through the load.

Astronuc thanks for the answer bro, do you know what career is more close to study this questions if there is no nuclear engineering in my country?. Be the way i hope ITER to be a success, altough some scientist say its technologically impossible and non-viable.

AlexES16 said:
Astronuc thanks for the answer bro, do you know what career is more close to study this questions if there is no nuclear engineering in my country?. Be the way i hope ITER to be a success, altough some scientist say its technologically impossible and non-viable.
One would have to specialize in plasma physics and nuclear engineering, or perhaps electrical engineering.

I would like to see ITER be successful, but 1) I don't know if they will be at this point, and 2) it's not clear to me that even if they are successful that that will lead to a commercially viable system.

Astronuc said:
One would have to specialize in plasma physics and nuclear engineering, or perhaps electrical engineering.

I would like to see ITER be successful, but 1) I don't know if they will be at this point, and 2) it's not clear to me that even if they are successful that that will lead to a commercially viable system.

EE sounds very viable. Well Fission reactors can be made more safe, and you see countries like sweden or france that have like 78% of its electricity generated by fission.

But i think that is out of topic and i don't want to get more infractions here
cya bro

1. What is nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars, and it has the potential to provide a clean and nearly limitless source of energy for human use.

2. How does nuclear fusion produce electricity?

In a nuclear fusion reaction, the energy released from the fusion process is used to heat water, producing steam that turns a turbine and generates electricity. This is similar to how electricity is produced in a nuclear fission reactor, but fusion reactions produce much more energy and do not produce radioactive waste.

3. What is the advantage of using nuclear fusion for electricity?

The main advantage of nuclear fusion for electricity is that it produces a large amount of energy without emitting greenhouse gases or other pollutants. It also uses a fuel source (hydrogen isotopes) that is abundant and easily accessible, making it a more sustainable option compared to fossil fuels.

4. How does nuclear fusion boil water?

Nuclear fusion does not directly boil water, but the energy released from the fusion process is used to heat water to produce steam, which then turns a turbine and generates electricity. This process is similar to how electricity is produced in other types of power plants.

5. Is nuclear fusion a safe energy source?

While there are still technical challenges to overcome, nuclear fusion has the potential to be a safe energy source. Unlike nuclear fission, which produces radioactive waste that can be harmful to humans and the environment, nuclear fusion reactions do not produce any long-lived radioactive waste. Additionally, fusion reactions can be stopped and controlled much more easily than fission reactions, reducing the risk of accidents or meltdowns.