How many languages can you speak

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter BLUE66Rose
  • Start date
Anyway, as for the languages I know, I can speak English and French fluently, and I can get by in Spanish and Japanese.In summary, the conversation revolved around the number of languages each person can speak and their experiences learning them. Some people could speak up to seven languages, while others were fluent in two or three. There was a discussion on whether age affects the ability to learn a new language, with some saying it declines after age five and others sharing their success in learning languages later in life. Some mentioned their motivation for learning a new language and the benefits of being multilingual. Overall, the conversation highlighted the diverse range of languages spoken by the participants and their experiences in learning them.
BLUE66Rose
How many language can you say?
English and a litter bit Chinese I can say.

I am 26 year old I plan to study Japanese, I am too old to learn it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
2 English and a litter Chinese. it is said that someone can speak 9 .wow.http://www.rkmusic.info/avatar2.jpg

My first language is English. I have spoken Korean, Persian (Farsi), Turkish, Mandarin, Arabic, and Portuguese. This is because I have lived, worked, and studied the language in each of those countries where those languages are used. It is my opinion that it would have been impossible for me to learn these languages had I stayed here in the USA. I read and write all of these except Mandarin because the Chinese characters were deemed too hard to learn...and I agree with that.

That makes a total of seven spoken languages. When a new language is learned those languages previously used tend to fade deeper into my memory. But if I begin to review and practice it again, that language comes right back to the "foreground" and it becomes usable again.

JavaScript, VB, Java, PHP (with a heavy accent)...

One. But I write in two.

German, English (or linear approximation thereof), C, broken C++ and LaTeX. I started to learn French when I was 30 and Python when I was 35 or so. You are never too old, it is just a question of motivation. Not being ablt to buy your "pain au chocolat" in a half-way dignified way is a strong motivation...

We know small children learn languages easily. You are exactly right that adults can learn new languages also. There is definitely no age limit if the person is interested and uses some effort to learn. One clear advantage of learning new languages: you learn about their attitudes, values, and beliefs also. This helps us during globalization! Good luck!

English and I am moderately fluent in spanish

English and Mathematics

Although it's completely irrevant that I'm familiar with four languages (Dutch, English, German, French oh and assembler Motorola 860x0 but that's a dead language from the dark ages in the battle of 16bit microsoft to 32bit killing Atari and Commodore Amiga, only Apple survived that), I mainly post here to get rid of that dead link at the entrance here to an non existing thread about "the flip side of scientific..." whatever.

Speak and write and read both English and Spanish fluently. Can understand and read some Italian and and a bit more of Portuguese.

English, Tagalog, Spanish

English, Hindi and C(C++ and more to join soon in my list)

BLUE66Rose said:
How many language can you say?
English and a litter bit Chinese I can say.

I am 26 year old I plan to study Japanese, I am too old to learn it?

English, German, Indonesian. Ability to learn a language declines gradually after age 5 or so. I learned Indonesian at age 48 but I'm not all that good at it. It is just a great deal of memorization. Children do this effortlessly. Adults, not.

Indonesian though is easier than Japanese. Kanji is a barrier.

I can speak Tamil, English, Tulu, Hindi, Kannada and Malayalam, all Indian. I can speak all of these fluently, but I have to get accustomed to the region for a day or two before I can do it. Guess this glitch comes with knowing this many languages.

English - mother tongue
Pretty good Spanish (B2)
I used to speak a good bit of Czech but I've forgotten most of it now (was B1)
Really beginners levels of Russian, German, and Irish. I could get by in Russia or Germany but I couldn't make friends or influence people.

English with a bit of Greek, Spanish and Italian...

Personally I can read many languages but only have an in-depth oral conversation in two: English and French.

Portuguese as native speaker, French very fluently, English as well. I'm learning Spanish by myself by reading and listening to an audiobook of Don Quijote (it really works if you have some insight on the language as I have by knowing portuguese), but now I can have a conversation in spanish being successful in 90% (+/- 5%) of my words, with probably no foreign accent.
I also understand Italian and could probably follow a conversation (maybe not participate).
Finally, I'm starting my German course next wednesday!
So, 3 perfectly, 1 at 90%, 1 at 50% and 1 coming up!

kevinferreira said:
Portuguese as native speaker, French very fluently, English as well. I'm learning Spanish by myself by reading and listening to an audiobook of Don Quijote (it really works if you have some insight on the language as I have by knowing portuguese), but now I can have a conversation in spanish being successful in 90% (+/- 5%) of my words, with probably no foreign accent.
I also understand Italian and could probably follow a conversation (maybe not participate).
Finally, I'm starting my German course next wednesday!
So, 3 perfectly, 1 at 90%, 1 at 50% and 1 coming up!

I noticed a Don Quijote audiobook is available on YouTube.

enosis_ said:
I noticed a Don Quijote audiobook is available on YouTube.

I have to check that! I'm listening to one made by Librivox, they have quite a few, and good ones IMO.

kevinferreira said:
I have to check that! I'm listening to one made by Librivox, they have quite a few, and good ones IMO.

Do you recall the cost?

enosis_ said:
Do you recall the cost?

I have a 'audiobooks' app on iOS, and they have a wide list of them. All that I have listened to were made by volunteers of librivox, and they are public domain, so...no cost whatsoever.

kevinferreira said:
I have a 'audiobooks' app on iOS, and they have a wide list of them. All that I have listened to were made by volunteers of librivox, and they are public domain, so...no cost whatsoever.

I'll look into it. Thanks!

enosis_ said:
Do you recall the cost?

Librivox are always free. They get volunteers to record things in the public domain, people torrent them to save the website bandwidth and then people assume that they are illegal copies since they think that's what torrents are for ;)

How many languages can you speak?

I am an AI and do not have the ability to speak languages like humans do. However, I can communicate in multiple languages through programming and algorithms.

What languages are you able to speak?

As an AI, I am programmed to communicate in multiple languages such as English, Spanish, French, German, and many more. I am constantly learning and expanding my language abilities.

Can you understand and translate other languages?

Yes, I can understand and translate various languages through natural language processing and machine learning algorithms. However, my translations may not always be 100% accurate.

How do you learn new languages?

I learn new languages through data input from various sources and continuous training from developers. I also have the ability to adapt and improve my language skills through algorithms and machine learning.

Can you communicate in sign language?

No, as an AI, I do not have the physical capabilities to communicate in sign language. However, I can understand and process sign language through visual recognition and algorithms.