Proving Pauli Matrices are Generators of SU(2)

In summary: Thanks.You can prove the commutation relations for generators by induction. First, you need to show that the commutation relations are hold for all pairs of generators. This can be done by showing that the commutation relations hold for a pair of generators and then showing that the commutation relations hold for any two generators in the pair.
LayMuon
I am confused with SU(2). How do you prove that the generators are pauli matrices (1/2 sigma)? I would appreciate any link or reference with details of all algebraic steps, taking one from the conditions of unitarity and det=1 to the well know exponential form.

In general, how do you find generators of arbitrary special unitary group?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
LayMuon said:
I would appreciate any link or reference with details of all algebraic steps, [...]
Ballentine, ch7, should provide at least part of what you're looking for.

How do you prove that the generators are pauli matrices (1/2 sigma)?
For SU(2),there will be 22-1=3 generators,which are represented by 2×2 matrices.By imposing the condition of unitarity and det=1,one can show that they will be pauli matrices(apart from an overall factor) like done here in a simple way
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:93nCYqcfSssJ:www.cmth.ph.ic.ac.uk/people/d.vvedensky/groups/Chapter9.pdf+generators+for+su(n)&hl=en&gl=in&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjFGgzJ9IIW6ndaDnZhuZ-bS6y_MZLxjH1lmBrJXzwmekNpDdzhFlQhw7HOkV8kztTYIOSgS3GNTXsK3JxQtKD_IrmZvWrwiE1578lwe3RvS1lPDS9JodC-5a63UZpIaqy5NPsB&sig=AHIEtbRECOqVRDYecSFVam6R-4szBZXBeA

Thanks for replies, I also found it in Arfken.

But I still wonder, what is the SYSTEMATIC procedure of finding out the generators of arbitrary SU(N)? Do any algorithms exist?

For example I don't quite understand how to systematically obtain Gell-Mann matrices.

The Gell-Mann matrices are a basis for the space of traceless hermitian 3x3 matrices. For SU(N) in general, there are N^2-1 generators. If you look over the Gell-Mann matrices for SU(3) and the Pauli matrices for SU(2) you can probably generalize to come up with a systematic way to enumerate N^2-1 linearly independent traceless hermitian NxN matrixes for any N.

How to do that?

It's easy just from the definition of the lie algebra of su(n). You need x*=-x and tr(x)=0. Think of the lie algebra as a vector space and show that the pauli spin matrices span it for su(2). So they are the generators. That is to say any 2x2 matrix such that x*=-1 and tr(x)=0 can be spanned by a linear combination of Pauli matrices.

I think you're also getting confused between SU(2) and su(2). The Pauli matrices span the lie algebra su(2). The unitary condition on SU(2) imposes the antihermitian on su(2) x*=-x and det U= 1 imposes the tr (x)=0 condition.

So there is no rigorous algorithm for general su(n) case?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...eneralized_Gell-Mann_matrices_.28Hermitian.29 It can be shown that these span the lie algebra su(n). There are rigorous algorithms, but that is a subject unto itself. For su(n+1) it's pretty simple since the dimension of the vector space can be shown to be n(n+2) so you need that many linearly independent basis vectors to span it. So take for example su(3) you need 2(2+2)=8 linearly independent antihermitian traceless matrices to span it. So the algorithm is one that can create that many of those kind of matrices for every n.

Awesome entry on wiki. Thanks! That sounds like what I was really looking for.

Just one more question. How do you prove the commutation relations for generators?

I understand that one can pick up the generators given by your link and explicitly prove the commutations and then, because it should be independent of representation, state that it's the general form. But nevertheless how to prove them without reference to explicit form of the generators?

1. What is the significance of proving Pauli matrices are generators of SU(2)?

Proving that Pauli matrices are generators of SU(2) is important because it provides a mathematical foundation for understanding the behavior of spin-1/2 particles. It also has applications in quantum mechanics and particle physics.

2. How are Pauli matrices related to SU(2)?

Pauli matrices are related to SU(2) through the special unitary group, which is a group of 2x2 complex unitary matrices with determinant equal to 1. This group is isomorphic to SU(2), meaning they have the same structure and properties.

3. What is the proof for Pauli matrices being generators of SU(2)?

The proof involves showing that the Pauli matrices satisfy the defining properties of generators for SU(2), which include being traceless, Hermitian, and satisfying the commutation relation. This can be done through matrix calculations and algebraic manipulations.

4. What are the physical implications of Pauli matrices being generators of SU(2)?

Physically, this implies that the Pauli matrices can be used to describe the spin states of particles in quantum mechanics. It also allows for the study and understanding of symmetries in physics, as SU(2) is a symmetry group.

5. Are there any other applications of Pauli matrices and SU(2)?

Yes, Pauli matrices and SU(2) have applications in various fields such as quantum computing, quantum information theory, and quantum optics. They also play a role in understanding the behavior of quarks and other subatomic particles.