Representing the Gamma Function

In summary, The Gamma Function has multiple definitions, one of which involves generalized Laguerre polynomials. The function is denoted as \Gamma(t) and includes a summation with 'n' and 'x' as variables. However, the purpose of 'x' is unclear and its role in the function is being questioned. It appears to converge towards the Gamma function for values near 1, but it is uncertain if this is just an approximation or if it is equal to Gamma for real values of t less than 1/2.
hover
I'm not sure if this is a "general" math question but I do think it is an interesting one.

The Gamma Function, [itex]\Gamma(t)[/itex], has many interesting definitions. It can take on the form of an integral to an infinite product. There is one particular definition, however, that I am trying to understand that doesn't make sense to me. Take a look at the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function#Alternative_definitions

The definition for Gamma that confuses me is the one that mentions generalized Laguerre polynomials on that page. We can see that Gamma is a function of 't' and that 'n' is part of the summation. My question is this, what is x suppose to be? What defines it? To me, x appears to be there for no reason. I hope I am just overlooking something simple and someone can point it out to me.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My guess. It should have included lim x -> 0, but I really don't know.

Hm... I tried making x approach 0 in Mathematica but that isn't it unfortunately. I've been messing with setting the value of x and plotting it. It seems like when x is "around" 1, the equation appears to converge towards the Gamma function. It is still strange though and is slightly irritating. What the heck is x suppose to be? I'm wondering if this is nothing more than a good approximation for Gamma or whether this actually equals Gamma for t<1/2 for when t is real.

1. What is the gamma function?

The gamma function, denoted by the symbol Γ(x), is a mathematical function that extends the concept of factorial to real and complex numbers. It is defined as the integral of the exponential function from 0 to infinity.

2. How is the gamma function represented?

The gamma function can be represented in various forms, including infinite series, continued fractions, and the Lanczos approximation. The most commonly used representation is the integral form, which is given by Γ(x) = ∫0 e-t tx-1 dt.

3. What is the relationship between the gamma function and the factorial function?

The gamma function is an extension of the factorial function to real and complex numbers. In fact, for positive integers n, Γ(n) = (n-1)!, which is the same as the factorial function. This relationship is given by the identity Γ(x+1) = xΓ(x).

4. What are the main properties of the gamma function?

Some of the main properties of the gamma function include the reflection formula, which states that Γ(x)Γ(1-x) = π/sin(πx), and the recurrence relation, which states that Γ(x+1) = xΓ(x). It also has special values at certain points, such as Γ(1/2) = √π and Γ(1) = 1.

5. How is the gamma function used in mathematics and science?

The gamma function has many applications in mathematics and science, including in probability theory, number theory, and physics. It is also used in the calculation of various mathematical functions, such as the beta function and the incomplete gamma function. In addition, it is closely related to other important mathematical functions, such as the zeta function and the Riemann zeta function.