Problem installing an old printer.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the HP printer was not working on the new computer and the installation program for the printer failed the first time. The user tried to uninstall any partial programs that might be there, but did not see anything related to the printer. The user then tried to install the printer again and this time it got stuck. The computer went back to an idle state and the user tried to uninstall any partial programs but did not see anything related to the printer. The user then tried to install the printer for the second time and this time it worked.
yungman
I just bought a HP I5 desktop and I am trying to install an old HP deskjet 7410 All-IN-One printer onto it. The computer is a Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits. I tried the original disk came with the printer and it did not work.

So I download the installation program from HP. It failed the first time. So I downloaded again and try installing again. It got stuck and I had use task manager to end the program. After that, I tried a few times again. When I click the execution file, it started to extract the program, but it just disappeared. The computer just go back to idle state as if nothing happened.

I went to Control panel and try to uninstall any partial programs that might be there, but I did not see anything relate to the HP printer. This is a new computer, very few programs in the computer, nothing funny looking.

Can anyone tell me what can I do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is the driver 64 bit?

adjacent said:
Is the driver 64 bit?

Yes. I double checked that. It was actually installing for a while before it failed the first time.

Are you installing in admin mode? Right-click the installer icon and choose run as administrator.
2009-10-21 , Version13.1.0, 362.68M is the correct Windows 7, 64 bit version according to HP, is that the one you're using?

Moe Trsyklist said:
Are you installing in admin mode? Right-click the installer icon and choose run as administrator.
2009-10-21 , Version13.1.0, 362.68M is the correct Windows 7, 64 bit version according to HP, is that the one you're using?

Yes, the size looks right.

This is a new computer, I only set up one user name. It did not ask me for administrator information.

What is the installer icon?

Thanks

yungman said:
What is the installer icon?

Thanks

He means setup.exe file.

adjacent said:
He means setup.exe file.

Thanks, but he was saying right click the installer icon!

How do I go to administrator log in? It's a new computer, I did not set up administrator, only one user name and one computer name.

yungman said:
Thanks, but he was saying right click the installer icon!

How do I go to administrator log in? It's a new computer, I did not set up administrator, only one user name and one computer name.
If there's only u=one user,it has to be an Administrator account.If you are not sure,got to Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts.
attachment.php?attachmentid=67414&stc=1&d=1394273377.png

Notice the "Administrator".________________________________________________________________
Right click on the setup.exe >Run as administrator.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 565
Likes 1 person
I'll look at that tomorrow.

Thanks

i verified, I am in administrator. What is my need step?

yungman said:
i verified, I am in administrator. What is my need step?
Right click on the setup.exe >Run as administrator.

I'm not sure but that works for many problems like this.

There is no setup.exe if you've got the correct driver from HP. The file name should be AIO_CDB_FSW_Full_Win_WW_130_141.exe.

An icon is the little picture that represents a file or shortcut. They have words underneath them. Those words are often the program name or file name but you have the ability to name or rename it anything you like.

Find the driver file you downloaded. Right-click it. Choose run as administrator.

Being logged in with an administrator account and running a program as an administrator are not the same thing. Running a program as an administrator grants the program additional rights & privileges that are often required to install successfully, especially when writing to areas driver files are located in.

If you need some video instruction perhaps YouTube could add some clarity to the text/graphic explanations we have provided so far.

Best of luck,
Moe

Likes 1 person
Moe Trsyklist said:
There is no setup.exe if you've got the correct driver from HP. The file name should be AIO_CDB_FSW_Full_Win_WW_130_141.exe.

An icon is the little picture that represents a file or shortcut. They have words underneath them. Those words are often the program name or file name but you have the ability to name or rename it anything you like.

Find the driver file you downloaded. Right-click it. Choose run as administrator.

Being logged in with an administrator account and running a program as an administrator are not the same thing. Running a program as an administrator grants the program additional rights & privileges that are often required to install successfully, especially when writing to areas driver files are located in.

If you need some video instruction perhaps YouTube could add some clarity to the text/graphic explanations we have provided so far.

Best of luck,
Moe

Sorry took so long to response. I verified the name of the file and everything.

I tried exactly like you suggested, it started to extract the program, but after it completed, it just disappeared like before.

The first time, the file actually went very far and finally it said something like have to run as administrator. I tried doing it again, it hung. I had to push and hold the power button for 10 seconds to force the computer into hard turn off. Ever since, it just disappeared after extracting the program.

I went into the Uninstall Programs and look for any residual files of the printer and I can't find any. So I don't know what else to do.

Could it be it wrote to the registry the first time and mess up when I had to force turn off the computer. I had no choice, I tried Ctrl/Alt/Del and it did not response. So the whole computer was stuck.

Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:
I opened the registry, I didn't see any HP printer stuff. I am stumped.

yungman said:
I opened the registry, I didn't see any HP printer stuff. I am stumped.

Try asking HP customer support.

1. Why is my old printer not being recognized by my computer?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It is possible that the printer drivers are not compatible with your operating system, the USB connection is faulty, or the printer itself may be malfunctioning. It is also possible that the printer is not properly connected to the computer.

2. How do I install drivers for an old printer?

The best way to install drivers for an old printer is to visit the manufacturer's website and look for the drivers specific to your printer model and operating system. You can also try using the installation CD that came with the printer.

3. Is it possible to use an old printer with a new computer?

It is possible to use an old printer with a new computer, but it may require some troubleshooting and driver updates. Make sure to check the compatibility of your printer with your new computer's operating system before attempting to install it.

4. Why is my old printer printing blank pages?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as low ink or toner levels, clogged print heads, or outdated printer drivers. Check the ink or toner levels and try cleaning the print heads. If that does not work, try updating the printer drivers.

5. Can I connect an old printer to my wireless network?

It depends on the capabilities of your old printer. Some older printers may not have the option to connect to a wireless network. However, you can purchase a wireless print server that can connect your printer to your network and enable wireless printing.