Register to reply

Hardy-Weinberg question

by Big-Daddy
Tags: hardyweinberg
Share this thread:
Big-Daddy
Mar30-14, 12:07 PM
P: 343
It would seem to me that after monohybrid mating, the frequency of the dominant and recessive allele should change? I will donate original frequency (i.e. proportion) by f0 and that after mating by f1.

f1(Dom-Dom) = f0(Dom-Dom)2 + 1/2 * f0(Dom-Dom) * f0(Dom-Rec) + 1/4 * f0(Dom-Rec)2

Am I right so far? (I hope my notation is intelligible - f0(Genotype) is the fraction of the genotype, in the original population.)

Then we can replace the terms to find f1(Dom-Dom) = P(Dom)4 + 1/2 * P(Dom)2 * 2*P(Dom)*(1-P(Dom)) + 1/4 * (2*P(Dom)*(1-P(Dom)))2 = P(Dom)4 - P(Dom)3 + P(Dom)2.

Where P(Dom) is the frequency of the dominant allele and P(Rec) is the frequency of the recessive allele, P(Dom)+P(Rec)=1, in the original population. Thus it would seem that the frequency of the allele has changed due to the mating?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Largest genetic survey to date shows major success of giant panda breeding programs
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Ygggdrasil
Mar30-14, 12:57 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,378
Quote Quote by Big-Daddy View Post
It would seem to me that after monohybrid mating, the frequency of the dominant and recessive allele should change? I will donate original frequency (i.e. proportion) by f0 and that after mating by f1.

f1(Dom-Dom) = f0(Dom-Dom)2 + 1/2 * f0(Dom-Dom) * f0(Dom-Rec) + 1/4 * f0(Dom-Rec)2
You forgot a factor of 2 in the fraction of Dom-Dom/Dom-rec matings to account for the combinatorics [i.e. the probability of a homozygous dominant individual mating with a heterozygote is 2*f(Dom-Dom)*f(Dom-rec)].
Big-Daddy
Mar30-14, 01:24 PM
P: 343
Quote Quote by Ygggdrasil View Post
You forgot a factor of 2 in the fraction of Dom-Dom/Dom-rec matings to account for the combinatorics [i.e. the probability of a homozygous dominant individual mating with a heterozygote is 2*f(Dom-Dom)*f(Dom-rec)].
Ah I see. And any mating between two individuals with different genotypes would also have this multiplying factor of 2 in the calculation of its probability?

Ygggdrasil
Mar30-14, 01:55 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,378
Hardy-Weinberg question

Quote Quote by Big-Daddy View Post
Ah I see. And any mating between two individuals with different genotypes would also have this multiplying factor of 2 in the calculation of its probability?
Yes.

Register to reply