Can Animals Recognize Objects Covered with a Plate?

• Thread starter Edgardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, the conversation suggests a method for training pets to not take food from a covered bowl. The TV report showed that most pets did not recognize the plate as something that could be removed. However, one person doubts this would work with their dog as it is always on the lookout for food. Another person tried it with a dog treat and the dog eventually removed the plate to get to the treat.
Edgardo
Hi all,

I saw this on TV, and maybe you could try this:
Put food in a bowl and show your cat/dog that there's food in that bowl (take a bowl or a small bucket). Then cover that bowl/bucket with a plate, still your dog /cat is watching what you're doing. Then look, if your dog or cat will take off the plate.

In that TV report the dog and the cat didn't take off the plate.
They somehow considered the bowl covered with the plate as
a new object and didn't recognize that the plate can be taken off.

Maybe you could try this at home and tell me if that worked.

Biology news on Phys.org
Sounds like a very well trained dog. Every dog I've ever owned would knock over or dig under anything that had the slightest smell of one stray piece of food until it found the food.

So does that mean when I am having snacks on the table, I just cover them and walk away to the kitchen? The second I walk out of the room, the table will be cleared of all the food I'm sure!

I just tried it witha dog treat. First the dog sniffed it, then pawed it till the plate came off.

What is the difference between cat and dog food?

Cat and dog food differ in terms of their nutrient requirements. Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they require meat-based diets, while dogs are omnivores and can thrive on both meat and plant-based diets. Cat food also has a higher protein and fat content compared to dog food.

Can I feed my cat or dog the same food?

While it may seem convenient to feed both pets the same food, it is not recommended. As mentioned before, cats and dogs have different nutritional needs. Feeding a cat dog food or vice versa can lead to nutrient deficiencies or excesses, which can negatively impact their health.

How much food should I give my cat or dog?

The amount of food a cat or dog needs will depend on their age, size, and activity level. It is important to follow the feeding guidelines on the food packaging and adjust accordingly based on your pet's individual needs. Overfeeding can lead to obesity and health problems, while underfeeding can result in nutrient deficiencies.

Is wet or dry food better for my cat or dog?

Both wet and dry food can provide the necessary nutrients for your pet. Wet food has a higher moisture content, which can help with hydration, while dry food can help with dental health. It is important to choose a high-quality food that meets your pet's nutritional needs, regardless of its form.

Should I switch up my pet's food?

It is not necessary to constantly switch up your pet's food. In fact, sudden changes in their diet can cause digestive issues. If you want to switch to a different brand or type of food, it is best to gradually introduce it by mixing it with their current food over the course of a week.