Suspicious Subscription Glitch - Forum Mystery

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a strange icon appearing next to a thread in the "New posts" list, indicating that the person is subscribed to the thread. This happened due to a recent patch that set everyone's subscription mode to automatic, but has since been fixed. However, some subscribed threads may still be lingering. The conversation also involves troubleshooting and trying to fix the issue.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A couple times in the past few weeks, I've noticed a strange icon next to one of the threads in the "New posts" list. Hovering over it, it says I'm subscribed to the thread! :bugeye: And then when I go to my CP, lo and behold, I really am subscribed! This is all despite never having (knowingly) done anything to cause myself to be subscribed. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
After a recent patch, everyone's thread subscription mode was set to automatic -- every thread you posted in would automatically become subscribed. Although this was fixed recently, you may still have some subscribed threads still lingering.

- Warren

The latest occurence was a few minutes ago on this thread which I created yesterday.

(And I've posted in it several times without the subscription being activated)

Well, in that case... hmmm..

Greg, are you screwing with (I mean, uh, fixing) anything?

- Warren

I'll trade ya! I still don't get any icons for the threads I'm subscribed to.

Are you talking to me or Hurkyl? If you're referring to me, that doesn't work. Nothing worked. Different computers, browsers, clearing caches, turning off and on, etc., yet no subscriptions (I don't know if email notifications worked...I pounced on that before I posted anywhere when you announced that was reset).

1. What is the Suspicious Subscription Glitch in the Forum Mystery?

The Suspicious Subscription Glitch is a recurring issue in the online forum mystery game, where players suddenly receive notifications that they have subscribed to a thread or topic without their knowledge or consent.

2. How does the Suspicious Subscription Glitch affect the game?

The glitch can be disruptive to the game, as it can flood players' inboxes with unwanted notifications and distract them from the main gameplay.

3. What causes the Suspicious Subscription Glitch?

The exact cause of the glitch is unknown, but it is believed to be a technical issue within the forum's software. It could also potentially be caused by a bug in the game's programming, or by a hacker trying to disrupt the game.

4. How can players prevent or fix the Suspicious Subscription Glitch?

Currently, there is no known way to prevent the glitch from happening. However, players can manually unsubscribe from the threads they did not subscribe to, and report the issue to the game's developers.

5. Is the Suspicious Subscription Glitch intentional?

No, the glitch is not intentional and is considered a technical issue. The game developers are working to fix the glitch and prevent it from happening in the future.