Studio grade microphones are sensitive to dust

• Thread starter dimensionless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dust
In summary, a cloth bag will be better than a plastic one to prevent dust from accumulating on the microphone diaphragm.
dimensionless
Studio grade microphones are sensitive to dust. Over time dust can collect on the diaphragm and degrade the sound quality. I've been told that putting a plastic bag over the microphone when it's not in use will prevent this. I've also been told that it is better to use a clothe covering because a plastic bag will promote condensation on the diaphragm.

My view is that the plastic bag will not be totally sealed off. This will mean that the humidity inside and outside the bag will be equal and that the bag will not result in extra condensation on the microphone diaphragm. Am I correct?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You're pretty much correct on the humidity issue. As a matter of fact, you can help trap moisture in with a plastic bag. Depending on the environment, you can create a little greenhouse with a plastic bag.

We use the standard sponge wind socks on ours. I'm not in the studio end of the business, bu there could possibly be a better way to go which is to look and see if there are piezoresistive microphones you can look into.

Yeah, put on one of those plastic sponge "wind sock" things. Don't they come with the mic?

I'm not sure if it will work for this particular mic. It's a somewhat large condenser mic.

dimensionless said:
I'm not sure if it will work for this particular mic. It's a somewhat large condenser mic.
Just put a cloth bag (Crown Royal bags have a drawstring...) over the mic when not in use. Atually a bag made of lint-free cotton would be better than the nice purple felt. And if someone is using the mic to sing into, use a fine mesh pop screen to sing through - I don't know if it will help keep breath-moisture down (which traps dust and smoke particles) but it will catch the errant gobs of spit. :yuck: I'm not a studio person, but I performed for many years, and always took really god care of my mics (except for the part about having to play in smokey bars).

Last edited:

1. Why are studio grade microphones sensitive to dust?

Studio grade microphones are sensitive to dust because they are designed to pick up even the smallest sounds with high precision. Dust particles can interfere with the delicate components of the microphone, affecting its sensitivity and overall performance.

2. Can dust damage a studio grade microphone?

Yes, dust can damage a studio grade microphone if it is not properly cleaned and maintained. Accumulated dust can clog the microphone's diaphragm and affect its ability to pick up sound accurately. In some cases, dust can also cause static or buzzing noises in recordings.

3. How can I prevent dust from affecting my studio grade microphone?

To prevent dust from affecting your studio grade microphone, it is important to regularly clean and maintain it. Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe away any dust particles from the microphone's exterior and use compressed air to remove dust from the internal components.

4. Are there any specific cleaning products I should use for my studio grade microphone?

It is recommended to use cleaning products specifically designed for studio grade microphones. These products are safe to use on delicate microphone components and will effectively remove dust and other debris without causing damage.

5. How often should I clean my studio grade microphone?

The frequency of cleaning your studio grade microphone depends on how often it is used and the environment it is used in. It is generally recommended to clean the microphone after each use or at least once a week to prevent dust buildup and maintain optimal performance.