What is the acceleration of objects falling on the moon in a vacuum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration of objects falling on the moon and how it is affected by air resistance. The participants agree that if air resistance is neglected, all objects on the moon would fall at the same constant acceleration, similar to how objects fall near the Earth's surface. This is due to the force of gravity, which is approximately 10 m/s^2 on Earth and would have a similar effect on the moon's surface.
uwmphysics
Ok the question I have is pretty simple

we claimed thatif the air resistance could be neglected all objects on hte moon wuld fall at
a. the same constant speed
b. an increasing acceleration
c. the same constant acceleration
d. a decreasing acceleration

Ok so i know its not the same constant speed, because the acceleration is what changes. And I know the acceleration isn't decreasing, or it would be getting slower and stop mid air...which obviously doesn't happen. So I'm torn between b and c, an increasing acceleration and the same constant acceleration. If we use the rule that gravity pulls us 10 m/s-squared then it would have the same acceleration the whole time and the velocity would increase, so the answer has to be c right?

...ok now that I'm confused hopefully someone agrees with me or can explain why that's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as we are only talking about objects near the moon's surface, then they all fall with the same acceleration--for the same reason that falling objects near the Earth's surface all have the same acceleration (ignoring air resistance). The acceleration due to gravity near the Earth's surface is about 10 m/s^2. Would you expect the acceleration due to gravity on the moon to be the same? smaller? greater?

I agree with you. That is assuming that the object is at small distances wrt the moons radius.

EDIT: Beaten to it by a better explanation.

What is acceleration in a vacuum?

Acceleration in a vacuum is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time when there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on it.

How is acceleration in a vacuum different from acceleration on Earth?

Acceleration in a vacuum is constant and does not change due to external factors such as air resistance or gravity. On Earth, acceleration is affected by gravity and air resistance, causing it to change over time.

What is the value of acceleration in a vacuum?

The value of acceleration in a vacuum is 9.8 meters per second squared, which is the same as the acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

Can any object experience acceleration in a vacuum?

Yes, any object can experience acceleration in a vacuum as long as there are no external forces acting on it. This includes objects of different sizes, masses, and shapes.

What is the significance of studying acceleration in a vacuum?

Studying acceleration in a vacuum allows scientists to better understand the fundamental laws of motion and gravity. It also helps in the development of technologies such as space travel and satellite systems.