Calculating charge uncertainty

In summary, the problem at hand involves two capacitors in a series with given farad and voltage values, along with uncertainties of 1% for voltage and 5% for capacitors. By calculating the variance, we find that Q1 has a value of 3648 Coulombs and Q2 has a value of 3627 Coulombs. The total Q value, Q.total, can be found by multiplying the equivalent capacitance with the total voltage, resulting in a value of 3634.84. To calculate the variance of Q.total, we can use the formula Var(Q) = dQ/dA * Var(A) + dQ/dB * Var(B), where A and B represent the variances of the individual
blog
Problem 1
Given: 2 capacitors in a series, each capacitor's farad & voltage across.
Voltage uncertainty 1%, capacitor uncertainty 5%
C1: 1019microFarads C2: 553microFarads
V1: 3.58 volts V2: 6.56 volts
Uncertainty: 5% for CAPs & 1% for Volt

Find Q for each: Q1=3648 Coulombs Q2=3627 Coulombs
Find Q's +/-(variance): SQRT(.05^2 + .01^2) = .051
Q1 Variance: 186 Q2 Variance: 185

Now for the question:
find Q.total Q.total=C.eq * V.total => 3634.84
What is the Uncertainty of Q.total??

Does anyone know how to find Q.total's variance?
I've looked through my text and online, still no luck.

If anyone could make a suggestion, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm.. you should consult a book on statistics. I think that Gauss proved something about how to calculate the variance.

For example, if you have the forumla Q = A * B and you know the variances of A and B, then the variance of Q can be calculated. If I am not mistaken you find it with
Var(Q) = dQ/dA * Var(A) + dQ/dB * Var(B)
and this forumla applies generally.

I might have confused the variance with the standard deviation or something so there might be a squareroot over the whole right hand side...

1. What is charge uncertainty?

Charge uncertainty refers to the amount of uncertainty or variability in the value of an electric charge measurement. It is usually expressed as a percentage or a range of values.

2. Why is it important to calculate charge uncertainty?

Calculating charge uncertainty is important because it allows us to understand the level of accuracy and reliability of our charge measurements. It also helps to identify potential sources of error and improve the precision of our measurements.

3. How is charge uncertainty calculated?

Charge uncertainty is calculated by evaluating the sources of uncertainty, such as instrument limitations or environmental factors, and combining them using statistical methods. The most commonly used method is the root mean square (RMS) method.

4. What factors can contribute to charge uncertainty?

There are several factors that can contribute to charge uncertainty, including instrument limitations, environmental conditions, operator error, and the inherent variability of the charged particles themselves. It is important to carefully control and account for these factors when calculating charge uncertainty.

5. How can charge uncertainty be reduced?

To reduce charge uncertainty, it is important to properly calibrate and maintain instruments, carefully control environmental conditions, and minimize sources of error. Additionally, increasing the number of measurements and using statistical methods can help to improve the precision of charge measurements and reduce uncertainty.