Solve Velocity Selector: 750eV Electron & Cyclotron w/ 32.0MeV, 4.5T

• Thread starter DFWDraco76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity of an electron and using it to calculate the energy and radius of a cyclotron. The person is struggling to relate eV to velocity and is seeking help. The summary also includes the solution to the problem and mentions considering the effects of relativity.
DFWDraco76
I found an old post with an almost identical question: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=54092

However, I still don't see how to work the problem.

My question is phrased exactly the same, except B = 0.0170T and it's a 750eV electron.

I have absolutely no clue how I'm supposed to relate eV to velocity, but I'm pretty sure (at least I read it somewhere on the web) I should be able to set 1/2mv^2 = eV.

If I do this I end up with v = sqrt(2eV/m) = 4.06*10^16.

Plugging that into the equation E = vB = 6.90*10^14.

That's way off... The answer should be kV/m, and from various friends that have gotten it right I hear it should be 3 digits (i.e. 100 <= answer <= 999).

Can somebody give me a hint, help me along here?

EDIT: I have another question in which I need to somehow related eV to velocity as well. This one is finding the radius of a cyclotron, given it's to accelerate to 32.0 MeV using magnetic filed 4.5T. I know r = mv / qB, so once again I'm missing v.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DFWDraco76 said:
1/2mv^2 = eV.
Almost there; however, you need to convert the energy from eV to Joules before equating the formulae for kinetic energy. The effects of relativity are insignificant so you can still use the classical equation as you have done above.

Ok... So 1eV = 1.6*10^-19J
750eV*1.6*10^-19 = 1.2*10^-16 = j

v = sqrt(2j/m) = sqrt(2.4*10^-16 / 9.11*10^-31) = 1.623*10^7

still not right, is it?

never mind, I got it. thanks!

1. How does a velocity selector work?

A velocity selector uses a combination of electric and magnetic fields to select particles with a specific velocity. The electric field applies a force on charged particles, while the magnetic field causes them to move in a circular path. By adjusting the strengths of the fields, particles with a specific velocity can be selected.

2. What is the purpose of using a velocity selector in the context of 750eV electrons and a cyclotron with 32.0MeV and 4.5T?

In this context, the velocity selector is used to select 750eV electrons with a specific velocity to be injected into the cyclotron. This ensures that the electrons will follow the desired path and be accelerated to the desired energy.

3. How is the strength of the electric and magnetic fields determined in a velocity selector?

The strength of the electric field is determined by the voltage applied to the plates of the selector, while the strength of the magnetic field is determined by the current passing through the coils. These values can be adjusted until the desired velocity is selected.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a velocity selector?

The accuracy of a velocity selector can be affected by variations in the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the initial velocity and direction of the particles. Environmental factors such as temperature and air pressure can also impact the accuracy of the selector.

5. How is a velocity selector used in a cyclotron?

In a cyclotron, the velocity selector is used to select particles with a specific velocity to be injected into the cyclotron. This allows the particles to follow the desired path and be accelerated to the desired energy by the electric fields in the cyclotron. The velocity selector is also used to continuously adjust the velocity of the particles as they circulate in the cyclotron to maintain their desired path.