Calculating Diameter of Beam in Glass Laser: Optics Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction of a laser beam with a glass pane at a specific angle and the resulting shift of the beam. The speaker also mentions covering physical interpretations of optics and questions if there is any aspect of electromagnetic theory that should be introduced in this problem. They also mention that the solution involves a trigonometric alteration of the incident area.
dipstik
laser beam of dia=D strikes at theta.i an n.t=1.5 glass pane. what is the diameter of the beam in the glass...

i started by setting up a geometric interpretation of the phenomena and concluded that the light would remain columned and both sides of the beam would simply shift from theta.i to theta.t, where n.t*sin(theta.t)=n.i*sin(theta.i). However, we are covering some of the physical interpretations of optics, such as dispersion and optical path lengths. Considering I'm only 3 weeks into my upperdivision optics class, what aspect of electromagnetic theroy would I introduce into this problem if any? Is it a trick question?... I doubt that.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
they were just looking for the trigonometric alteration of incident area... deceptivly easy...

1. How do you calculate the diameter of a beam in glass laser?

To calculate the diameter of a beam in glass laser, you can use the formula D = 2*sqrt((lambda*f*L)/pi), where D is the diameter of the beam, lambda is the wavelength of the laser, f is the focal length of the lens, and L is the distance between the lens and the laser.

2. What is the significance of calculating the diameter of a beam in glass laser?

The diameter of the beam in a glass laser is an important parameter as it determines the amount of energy that is focused on a specific area. This information is crucial in determining the efficiency and effectiveness of the laser in various applications.

3. How does the diameter of a beam in glass laser affect the laser's performance?

The diameter of the beam in a glass laser affects the laser's performance in multiple ways. A smaller diameter results in a higher intensity and more focused beam, while a larger diameter results in a less intense and more spread out beam. The diameter also affects the laser's ability to penetrate materials and its precision in cutting or engraving.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating the diameter of a beam in glass laser?

There are some limitations to calculating the diameter of a beam in glass laser. This formula assumes a perfectly round and symmetrical beam, which may not always be the case. Additionally, factors such as imperfections in the lens or variations in the laser's output power can also affect the accuracy of the calculated diameter.

5. What other factors should be considered when calculating the diameter of a beam in glass laser?

When calculating the diameter of a beam in glass laser, it is important to also consider the divergence of the beam, which is the rate at which the beam widens as it travels away from the source. This can affect the diameter of the beam at different distances from the lens. Additionally, the type and quality of the lens used can also impact the diameter of the beam.