Eigenvalue for DC motor convergence rate

In summary, the conversation is about finding the control voltage for a DC motor to reach a constant reference speed and desired convergence rate determined by eigenvalues. The conversation includes a request for suggestions and the provision of the general DC motor equation.
pcming
Hi,
I have troubles solving this question:
Given the general DC motor governed equation, find the control voltage such that the speed w tends to constand reference input w* and the convergence rate is determined by the desired eigenvalues L1 and L2.
I think it's easy to find the control voltage to the speed w. However I don't know how to find "convergence rate" which is determined by the desired eigenvalues. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
pcming said:
Hi,
I have troubles solving this question:
Given the general DC motor governed equation, find the control voltage such that the speed w tends to constand reference input w* and the convergence rate is determined by the desired eigenvalues L1 and L2.
I think it's easy to find the control voltage to the speed w. However I don't know how to find "convergence rate" which is determined by the desired eigenvalues. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks.
Can you give us the "general DC motor governed equation"?

AM

Hi Andrew,
here it is:

J(dw/dt)=K1*i-T
L(di/dt)=-R*i-K2*w+u

where J is the inertial moment, w is motor speed, T is load torque, R is resistance, i is current, K1 and K2 are constant, and u is the input voltage.

Thank for your reply! Hope you know how to do it.

What is an eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate?

An eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate is a value that represents the rate at which a DC motor will reach a steady state or equilibrium. It is a measure of the stability of the motor's behavior and can be calculated using mathematical models.

How is the eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate calculated?

The eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate can be calculated using the state-space representation of the motor's behavior. It involves finding the roots of the characteristic equation, which is a polynomial equation that describes the system's dynamics.

Why is the eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate important?

The eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate is important because it gives insight into the stability and performance of the motor. A higher eigenvalue indicates a faster convergence rate and a more stable motor system.

What factors can affect the eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate?

There are several factors that can affect the eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate, including the motor's physical properties, the load on the motor, and any external disturbances or control inputs. Changes in these factors can result in different eigenvalues and impact the motor's behavior.

Can the eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate be improved?

Yes, the eigenvalue for a DC motor convergence rate can be improved by optimizing the motor's design and control parameters. This can lead to a faster convergence rate and better overall performance of the motor system.