Acceleration, speed, distance problem

In summary, the motorcycle traveled 33.244 ft/s in 3 seconds, and the car would have to travel a total of 91.2 mph to catch up with it.
Raffi
A motorcycle enters the freeway 8 seconds before a car following it. The motorcycle upon entering the freeway accelerates to 68 mph in 3 seconds. How fast will the car have to travel in order to catch up with the motorcycle in 1 mile. Keep in mind, the car does 0-60 in 9 seconds. If possible, please show me the formula for solving, as I'm sure the Judge may want to see it.
Let me know if you need anymore numbers.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried to solve this problem numerous times but am stumped by the fact that 2 vehicles are invloved and can't seem to figure out the formula for the car's speed.

Upon entering freeway, do you assume car and motorcycle is accelerating from 0? or they have initial speed?

problem solving help

Both are starting from zero.

my preliminary answer

I got 91.36 mph to catch motorcycle.
If this is reasonable, then I will show my work later.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how you came to that figure...

formulas

Let's start with motorcycle's acceleration

a1 = (68*5280/3600)/3 = 33.244 ft/s^2
Now, calculate how far within the first 3 seconds the motorcycle traveled.
d1 = 0.5*33.244*9 = 149.6 ft
Calculate the remaining distance before 1 mile = 5280 - 149.6 = 5130.4 ft.
Time to travel 5130.4 ft = 5130.4/99.73 = 51.44 seconds
Total motorcycle traveled time = 51.44 + 3 = 54.44 seconds

Since the car entered hwy 8 seconds later, that left 46.44 seconds for the car to catch up the motorcycle.

From the given information, we have to assume the car accelerated from 0 to a speed at constant acceleration, otherwise there is no solution (or many solutions) to this question.

Let's calculate the acceleration of the car.
a2= 60*5280/3600*9 = 9.77 ft/s^2
which was slower than motorcycle. However, the car keep on accelerating up to a speed. Let's find out the acceleration time (during which the car accelerated)
Let d2 = the distance when the car accelerated,
V = the ultimate speed when the car cruising
t = the time the car accelerated

d2 = 0.5 * 9.77 * t^2
V = 9.77 * t
(5250 - d) / (46.44 - t) = V,

Solve these three equations, you will get t = 13.7 seconds (anothe answer, 79 seconds wasn't right)

V = 9.77 * 13.7 = 133.8 ft/s
= 91.2 mph.

That's how I got this answer.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In other words, it is the measure of how fast the velocity of an object is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion. In other words, velocity specifies both how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while speed only tells us how fast the object is moving.

4. How are distance and displacement different?

Distance is a scalar quantity that measures the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is a vector quantity that measures the shortest distance between an object's starting point and its ending point. In other words, distance tells us the total amount of ground covered, while displacement tells us the straight-line distance from start to finish.

5. Can an object have a changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a changing acceleration if its velocity is changing. This is known as non-uniform acceleration. An example of this is when a car is accelerating from a stop sign. At first, its acceleration is high, but as it gains speed, its acceleration decreases until it reaches a constant velocity.