Force changes as object falls?

• Thread starter merced
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the question is asking for the average upward force exerted by water on a high diver with a mass of 70.0 kg who jumps off a 10.0 m board and is stopped 2.00 s after entering the water. The velocity at which the diver hits the water depends on the acceleration caused by the water, which in turn depends on the time it takes for the diver to reach a velocity of zero. Air resistance can be neglected in this scenario. Taking air resistance into account would make the problem much more complex and is not necessary for an introductory physics course.
merced
force changes as object falls??

"A high diver of mass 70.0 kg jumps off a board 10.0 m above the water. If his downward motion is stopped 2.00 s after he enters the water, what average upward force did the water exert on him?"

Do I need to find the velocity when the person hits the water?
Does force change as velocity changes, i.e. does the man hit the water at a greater force if he falls from a greater height? (It seems force should increase as the height increases, but force = mass * acceleration, and has nothing to do with velocity, right?)

Physics news on Phys.org
i believe u need to consider that force is rate of change of momentum with respect to time and since momentum is mv,velocity does play a part right?

merced said:
"A high diver of mass 70.0 kg jumps off a board 10.0 m above the water. If his downward motion is stopped 2.00 s after he enters the water, what average upward force did the water exert on him?"

Does force change as velocity changes, i.e. does the man hit the water at a greater force if he falls from a greater height? (It seems force should increase as the height increases, but force = mass * acceleration, and has nothing to do with velocity, right?)

If you hit the water at a higher velocity, then probably the acceleration caused by the water will be greater (that all depends on the time it takes to get to zero v of course). And as you said, F = ma.

Dorothy

merced said:

velocity = acceleration * time.
If the diver jumps from a higher point he will take more time to accelerate and his final velocity will be greater.
To calculate the average upward force needed to stop him in 2 s, you need to know his velocity when he hits the water.

may i ask why u can use velocity = acceleration * time in this case since the qn didnt state that air resistance is neligible?

One may solve the problem by neglecting air resistance, which is negligble at low velocities, and one should probably state that as part of the solution. If this is an introductory course in physics, that is likely the case.

One certainly does not hit 'terminal velocity' dropping from 10 m.

v = a * t, as long as a is 'contant'. If a = a(t) then one must integrate appropriately.

See definition of acceleration - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acca.html

Last edited:
As Astronuc explained, air resistance is negligible at low velocities.If we considered air drag the problem would be very complex. The drag force is given by
[tex]D = \rho S C_D v^2[/tex]
Where [tex]\rho[/tex] is air density.
S is the cross section of the body perpendicular to the velocity. In the case of a diver, this cross section varies with time, since the diver starts with his/her head up and finishes with it pointing down.
[tex]C_D[/tex] is the drag coefficient for the body. I have no idea where to find it for a human body.
v is the velocity.
If you could obtain the drag coefficient, you would have to model the rotation of the body of the diver in order to solve the problem iteratively. Hardly the kind of problem for an introductory physics course.

1. How does the force change as an object falls?

The force acting on an object as it falls is known as its weight, and it changes due to the acceleration of gravity. As the object falls, the force increases due to the increasing speed and the pull of gravity.

2. What factors affect the force of an object as it falls?

The force of an object as it falls can be affected by several factors, including its mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. Objects with greater mass will experience a greater force, while air resistance can slow down the acceleration and decrease the force acting on the object.

3. How does the force change in relation to the distance an object falls?

The force acting on an object as it falls is directly proportional to the distance it falls. This means that the force will increase as the object falls because the distance increases.

4. Does the shape or size of an object affect the force as it falls?

The shape or size of an object does not directly affect the force acting on it as it falls. However, the shape and size can indirectly impact the force by affecting the air resistance experienced by the object.

5. How does air resistance impact the force of an object as it falls?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As an object falls, it will experience air resistance, which can decrease the force acting on it. The impact of air resistance depends on the shape and size of the object, as well as the density of the air.