Understanding the Relationship Between Inertia and Momentum: Exploring p = mv

In summary, Virtual said that momentum is the measure of inertia. Virtual was wrong to say that because velocity is involved.
student85
Are they the same thing?
momentum = p = mv

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertia is more like m

Interia has no numerical value unlike momentum. It's just a property of an object based on its mass.

Ok, that's what I thought. But then, how would you define momentum? (in words)

"momentum is the measure of inertia "
and inertia is the property of the system or the object to resist a change in its state i.e either the state of motion or of rest

"momentum is the measure of inertia "

Inertia is unchanging whereas momentum can be changing. (for all classical approx.)

momentum is concerned with moving things.

Inertia is related to mass. Momentum is related to mass and speed (as the equation shows).

Virtual said momentum is the measure of inertia.
Then, velocity must be part of inertia. I think it makes sense since the faster the object is going, the harder it is to change its condition...am I right?

student85 said:
Virtual said momentum is the measure of inertia. [That] makes sense since the faster the object is going, the harder it is to change its condition...

I wouldn't equate inertia with momentum. It's just as hard to stop a fast object as it is, after stopping it, to then speed the object back up again, however the stationary object has infinitely less momentum.

Perhaps a formal definition for inertia (or moment of inertia) should be the force (or torque) with which an object resists a change in its velocity (or in its angular velocity). Consequently, the SI unit for inertia would be kg (or, er, kgm^2/rad).

student85 said:
Virtual said momentum is the measure of inertia.
Virtual was wrong to say that because...
Then, velocity must be part of inertia. I think it makes sense since the faster the object is going, the harder it is to change its condition...am I right?
No, you are clearly not right as f=ma doesn't say anything about velocity, does it? If it got harder to change velocity when speed was higher, those terms should appear in that equation.

(caveat: relativity not needed here)

What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. It is the property of matter that causes it to maintain its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

What is momentum?

Momentum is the quantity of motion possessed by a moving object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a measure of how difficult it is to stop or change the motion of an object.

How are inertia and momentum related?

Inertia and momentum are related in that they both involve the resistance to changes in motion. An object with a greater mass has a greater inertia and therefore requires more force to change its motion, and also has a greater momentum due to its mass and velocity.

What is the difference between inertia and momentum?

The main difference between inertia and momentum is that inertia is a property of matter that describes its resistance to changes in motion, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. Inertia is a property of an object, while momentum is a quantity associated with an object's motion.

Why is momentum a vector quantity?

Momentum is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of an object's momentum is the same as its velocity, and the magnitude of its momentum is determined by its mass and velocity. This makes momentum a vector quantity, as it has both magnitude and direction.