Solve Tricky Problem for Curve y=(ax-b)/(1-x^2)-SOLVED by courtrigrad"

• Thread starter me_maths
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that you are trying to find the 'k' value for a point on a curve, and you have two equations that you need to solve. The first equation is that 'a' and 'b' both = 1, and the second equation is that y'(-2) = 1.
me_maths
tricky problem please HELP :( -SOLVED by "courtrigrad"-

[SOLVED, thanks to "courtrigrad"!]

I've tried to solve this problem for over 3 or 4 hours but I can't figure out how, please help me.

Ok so it's a curve ( parable? ) y = (ax - b) / ( 1 - x^2 )

You are supposed to solve what 'a' and 'b' should be if the curve goes through the point (-2,1) AND that the tangents* direction of that same point (-2,1) is 45 degrees ( so the tangents 'k' value should be 1, which is 45 degrees ).

*I'm not sure but I might have the wrong name in English for 'tangent', but it is a line with the same 'k' value as the single point in the curve... if you know what I mean?

THE BELOW IS WHAT I'VE TRIED TO DO:

Ok, so we all know that to get the 'k' value of a point in a curve you must begin with taking the derivate of the curve, which in this case would be:

MAOL s.43 : D f/g = ( gDf - fDg ) / ( g^2 )

#1. y' = ( ( 1-x^2 )*a - ( ax-b )*( 2x ) ) / ( 1 - x^4 )

and then you should put the derivate in a function of the x value, something like: y'(x) = ... , which would in this case be: y'(-2) = ... .

so we take that y'(-2) = ... and equal it to 1, because that's the 'k' value we had to have for that point.

and thus we should get an equation with both 2 unknown variables, 'a' and 'b' , in which we should somehow figure out what they should be to get this to work... which is where I fail.

The answer for this problem is that 'a' and 'b' both = 1.

I've tried to do the countings myself etc but I can't come up with it...

Could someone please help me!?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know that [tex] 1 = \frac{-2a-b}{-3} \Rightarrow -2a-b = -3 [/tex]Also [tex] y'(x) = \frac{(1-x^{2})(a)-(ax-b)(-2x)}{(1-x^{2})^{2}} [/tex]Thus [tex] y'(-2) = 1 = \frac{-3a+8a+4b}{9} \Rightarrow 5a + 4b = 9 [/tex]

So the two equations are: [tex] -2a - b = -3 [/tex] and [tex] 5a+4b = 9 [/tex]

Solve these two equations for [tex] a,b [/tex] and you should get the answer.

Aah!

Thanks alot!

Forgot completaly that you could use the first equation to compare it to the result of y'(-2) = ... . Not to mention that I made a few mistakes in the calculating also such as (1-x^2) would be (1-x^4) which is totally wrong...

Thanks again, helped me tremendously! <3 <3

1. What is the formula for y in the given curve?

The formula for y in this curve is y=(ax-b)/(1-x^2).

2. What are the variables in the formula?

The variables in the formula are a, b, and x.

3. How do I solve this tricky problem?

To solve this problem, you can start by factoring the denominator (1-x^2) and then using algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation. Next, you can apply the appropriate mathematical operations to isolate the variable you are solving for. Finally, plug in the given values for a, b, and x to find the solution.

4. What is the significance of courtrigrad in the solution?

Courtrigrad is a mathematical method used to solve tricky problems involving curves and equations. It can help simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve.

5. Can this problem be solved using any other method?

Yes, this problem can also be solved using other mathematical methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. However, courtrigrad may be the most efficient method for solving this particular problem.