Derivation of Moment of Inertia Equation for Solid Discs

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using calculus to prove the formula I = .5MR^2, which relates to the moment of inertia of an object. The participants suggest using geometric series and the definition of moment of inertia for an arbitrary mass distribution to solve the problem. They also mention the continuous version of the formula and suggest using polar coordinates for easier integration.
kelli105
This isn't quite a homework question, but my calculus teacher mentioned to those of us also taking physics that it was possible to prove that I = .5MR^2 using calc. I had some extra time on my hands and decided to give it a try. I've tried doing a summation with a geometric series but then ran into trouble defining a and r [using the equation a/(1-r)]. Does anyone out there know how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
go back to the definition of how moment of inertia is defined for an arbitrary mass distribution of an object... you may find that it is given by something like (off top of my head only)
[tex]I=\sum_i M_i R_i^2[/tex]
where [tex]M_i[/tex] is a mass element at perpendicular distance [tex]R_i[/tex] from the axis of rotation.

there should also be a continuous version in your book...if not derive it yourself by introducing [tex]\rho[/tex] (density) such that
[tex]\Delta M_i = \rho \Delta V[/tex]
and when [tex]\Delta V[/tex] goes to zero you sum will become an integral.

hint: before tackling the disc, try a hoop first. then you may use that result to help you solve the disk

As mjsd mentioned there is also an expression for the contineous version, which should be

[tex] I_{CM} = \int_M r^2\,\textrm{d}m [/tex]

Where r is the distance from center of the disk to the infinitesimal mass dm. If [itex] \sigma[/itex] is the mass pr. unit area, then assuming that there is a uniform distribution of mass over the disk, [itex]\sigma[/itex] would be constant. Change the above integral so that you integrate with respect to the area instead of mass. You would then have a multiple integral over the area corresponding the to surface area of the disk. Using polar coordinates this would be much easier to solve, so you should change from cartesian to polar coordinates (while remembering the Jacobian). You're integrations limits would change to something much simpler.
Don't worry about the [itex] \sigma[/itex], you can later replace an expression including [itex] \sigma[/itex] with the mass M.

Last edited:

1. What is the moment of inertia equation for solid discs?

The moment of inertia equation for a solid disc is I = ½MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the disc, and R is the radius of the disc.

2. How is the moment of inertia equation for solid discs derived?

The moment of inertia equation for solid discs is derived by considering the rotational inertia of a disc, which is equal to the sum of the products of each small mass element and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. This integral is then simplified to I = ½MR².

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the moment of inertia equation for solid discs?

The derivation of the moment of inertia equation for solid discs assumes that the disc is a uniform, homogenous object with a constant density. It also assumes that the disc is rotating about its central axis and that all mass elements are located on the same plane.

4. Can the moment of inertia equation for solid discs be applied to other shapes?

No, the moment of inertia equation for solid discs is specific to discs. Other shapes have their own moment of inertia equations, such as I = ½MR² for a solid sphere and I = ⅓ML² for a rod rotating about its end.

5. How is the moment of inertia equation for solid discs used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia equation for solid discs is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as calculating the torque required to rotate a disc or predicting the rotational motion of a disc in a system. It is also used in designing and analyzing rotating machinery, such as flywheels and gears.