FEMLAB-Exporting Data from Random Distribution of Points?

In summary, you can use the scripting interface to export data in various formats, including coordinates and data from a uniform distribution of points.
WashU
I am by no means an expert with FEM or FEMLAB. I am running some simple 2D axial symmetric models and would like to export displacement data for each of my subdomains. At the moment I am exporting in cooridnate & data form using a regular grid of points. However for my application the regular grid is not ideal and infact presents a problem. Is there a way to instruct FEMLAB to export coordinates & data from a uniform distribution of random points? Can I also make FEMLAB export more data from in areas with a more refined mesh and less data from areas where the mesh is less defined? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Computer science news on Phys.org
file->export->post processing data should provide you the means you require, for example for subdomains you can use nodal points of a post-processing mesh of what order you wish or then read the coordinates you want output from an external file, or then specify a regular grid of desired density. Defining new output variables and outputting them with desired number of points is a good way as well, and if you use the scripting interface you can do pretty much what you want.

Is there a place I can go for information on FEMLAB's scripting interface? I have the FEMLAB manual in paper form but it really doesn't provide a lot of information on data exporting.

...if I remember about right the improved export feature was part of release 3.2 and generalized the data export features quite a bit, before it was "somewhat" clumsy. Don't know of any online sources for the scripting interface, the scripting manual is probably the best source, although the Yahoo - Comsol group does from time to time treat problems related to Comsol scripts and the archive may contain some examples.

Ok I worked out this problem and now have a new one. Is there any method of importing position and displacement data and having femlab determine the applied strain (essentially working the problem in reverse)?

...yeah, the scripting interface provides you pretty much the same abilities for data I/O as matlab, and then you can use whatever operations to the data you see fit (using the set of build-in function for differentiation for example comes handy ... if you read in the data, fix it to spatial domains and work from there you can use the application mode to do the work for you [like computing the strain state from a displacement field]). A more straightforward way can be to import data from file to for example "tabular-variables" and then work on them straight on if you want to work within the GUI.

1. What is FEMLAB and how does it relate to exporting data from random distribution of points?

FEMLAB is a finite element analysis software used for modeling and simulation of physical systems. It allows users to import and export data from various sources, including random distribution of points, for further analysis and processing.

2. Can FEMLAB export data in different file formats from a random distribution of points?

Yes, FEMLAB offers various file formats for exporting data from a random distribution of points, such as CSV, Excel, and MATLAB. This allows for easy integration with other software and tools for further analysis.

3. Is it possible to customize the data export from a random distribution of points in FEMLAB?

Yes, FEMLAB allows users to customize the data export by specifying the desired data points, format, and other parameters. This gives users more control over the exported data and how it is used in other applications.

4. How accurate is the exported data from a random distribution of points in FEMLAB?

The accuracy of the exported data depends on the accuracy of the original data and the settings used for exporting. FEMLAB uses advanced algorithms and techniques to ensure accurate data export from a random distribution of points.

5. Is there a limit to the number of data points that can be exported from a random distribution in FEMLAB?

FEMLAB does not have a specific limit on the number of data points that can be exported from a random distribution. However, the performance of the software may be affected by large datasets, so it is recommended to optimize the data before exporting if possible.