Calculating Shunt Resistor for Galvanometer to Ammeter Conversion

In summary, to convert a galvanometer with a coil resistance of 460 ohms and a full scale deflection current of 100^10*-6 A into an ammeter with a full scale deflection current of 200 ^10*-3 A, a shunt resistor with a value of 230.115^10*-3 ohms is needed. The total resistance of the ammeter will be 460.23 ohms. To calculate the percentage of current flow, the current divider formula can be used. The total resistance required can be calculated using ohm's law and the shunt can be calculated using the parallel resistance formula.
Magna1
A galvonometer has a coil resitance of 460 ohms and a full scale deflection current of of 100^10*-6 A What shunt resistor is needed to convert this galv.. into an ammeter which has a full scale deflection current of 200 ^10*-3 A? What is the resitance of the ammeter when it is completed? What percentage of current flows through both Ig and Is?

I figured Rs at 230.115^10*-3 ohms. ANd Rt of 460.23 ohms. but I know my Rt should be in milli ohms??/

Also without having a voltage how can I calculate the percentage of current flow?
I used
Rs=(Ig*rg)/Im-Ig)
and
Rt=Rs+Rm

am I going in the right direction?/

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to define you're variables. I suspect that "Rt" stands for total or equivalent resistance of the modified device. In that case, your formula is incorrect. Resistances in parallel don't "add" like that; they combine like this:

R|| = R1R2 / ( R1 + R2 )

To get the percentage of current, you can use the current divider.

You know that the meter has an internal resistance of 460 ohms. You know it will fully deflect at 100 microamperes. You NEED it to fully deflect at 200 millamperes. No problem. You know ohms law (I hope). You know how to figure what the voltage across the meter will be with the needle fully deflected. Since you know full deflection voltage and current, you know the TOTAL resistance required. The shunt is in parallel with meter coil, so it is a matter of figuring the shunt value based the 2 known resistances. One is the TOTAL resistance required, the other is the meter coil resistance. To figure parallel resistances, you add the inverse of all resistances to get the inverse of the total.

1/Rt = 1/Rshunt + 1/Rmeter

So to get this figured out I just calculate Rt as a pair of Parallel resistors?

Originally posted by Magna1
So to get this figured out I just calculate Rt as a pair of Parallel resistors?

In my example, Rt is the total resistance. Isn't an ammeter a pair of parallel resistors? The shunt in parallel with the meter itself?

What is an ammeter shunt resistor?

An ammeter shunt resistor is an electrical component designed to measure current in a circuit. It is placed in parallel with the ammeter and diverts a portion of the current away from the ammeter to prevent damage.

How does an ammeter shunt resistor work?

An ammeter shunt resistor works by creating a known resistance in parallel with the ammeter. This causes a voltage drop across the resistor, which can then be used to calculate the current in the circuit using Ohm's law (I = V/R).

Why is an ammeter shunt resistor necessary?

An ammeter shunt resistor is necessary in high current circuits because regular ammeters have a limited current range. By using a shunt resistor, the ammeter can measure larger currents without being damaged.

What are the advantages of using an ammeter shunt resistor?

The main advantage of using an ammeter shunt resistor is that it allows for accurate measurement of high currents without the need for a specialized, high-range ammeter. It also helps to prevent damage to the ammeter and the circuit itself.

What are the different types of ammeter shunt resistors?

There are two main types of ammeter shunt resistors: low resistance shunts and high resistance shunts. Low resistance shunts are used for larger currents, while high resistance shunts are used for smaller currents. There are also precision shunts, which have a very low resistance and are used for highly accurate current measurements.