How do you differentiate (x-y) using implicit differentiation?

In summary, implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not in the form of y = f(x). It is commonly used when a function is defined implicitly and cannot be easily solved for y. This is done by treating the y term as a function of x and using the chain rule to find the derivative. This is different from explicit differentiation, which is used for functions in the form of y = f(x) and uses the power rule and other standard rules of differentiation. Implicit differentiation is important because it allows us to find the derivative of functions that cannot be easily solved for y, making it useful in physics and engineering applications. It also allows us to find the slope of curves and tangent lines at any
maphco
I looked through my notes and couldn't figure out how to differentiate

(x - y)

using implicit differentiation. Could someone help with that and I should be able to work out the rest of my question :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a thought now, would it be

1 - dy/dx

?

i think you are correct
its

1-y'

Why couldn't it be dx/dy-1? You need to state what you are differentiating wtih respect to.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not in the form of y = f(x). It is commonly used when a function is defined implicitly, meaning that it is not explicitly written in terms of y.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when a function cannot be easily solved for y in terms of x. This often occurs when the function is defined implicitly or when it contains both x and y terms.

3. How is implicit differentiation performed?

To perform implicit differentiation, the chain rule is used to find the derivative of the function with respect to x. The y term is treated as a function of x and the derivative is found using the standard rules of differentiation.

4. What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is in the form of y = f(x), while implicit differentiation is used for functions that cannot be easily solved for y. In explicit differentiation, the derivative is found using the power rule and other standard rules of differentiation.

5. Why is implicit differentiation important?

Implicit differentiation is important because it allows us to find the derivative of functions that cannot be easily solved for y. This is particularly useful in physics and engineering applications where functions are often defined implicitly. It also allows us to find the slope of curves and tangent lines at any point on a graph.