Gravitation potential energy without hieght

In summary, a skateboarder starts out with a speed of 1.75 m/s and does 80.0 J of work on himself by pushing with his feet against the ground. In addition, friction does -265 J of work on him, resulting in a final speed of 5.90 m/s.
ncote
A 55.5 kg skateboarder starts out with a speed of 1.75 m/s. He does +80.0 J of work on himself by pushing with his feet against the ground. In addition, friction does -265 J of work on him. In both cases, the forces doing the work are nonconservative. The final speed of the skateboarder is 5.90 m/s.
(a) Calculate the change (PE = PEf - PE0) in the gravitational potential energy.

i also have to calculate the change in the vertical hieght. i have absolutely no clue how to do this without h...

Physics news on Phys.org
ncote said:
A 55.5 kg skateboarder starts out with a speed of 1.75 m/s. He does +80.0 J of work on himself by pushing with his feet against the ground. In addition, friction does -265 J of work on him. In both cases, the forces doing the work are nonconservative. The final speed of the skateboarder is 5.90 m/s.
(a) Calculate the change (PE = PEf - PE0) in the gravitational potential energy.

i also have to calculate the change in the vertical hieght. i have absolutely no clue how to do this without h...
You might want to consider the work energy theorem [tex]W_c + W_{nc} = \Delta KE[/tex]and go from there, if you're familar with it.

i got W using (1/2)(m)(vf^2)-(1/2)(m)(vo^2). not sure where to go from here.

ncote said:
i got W using (1/2)(m)(vf^2)-(1/2)(m)(vo^2). not sure where to go from here.
Correct, that's the total (or net) work done. Some of that work is the work done by the non conservative forces, which is given. The rest is the work done by conservative forces, which is the gravity force in this case. Work done by gravity is just -mgh. If this equation is confusing to you, perhaps you should instead use the conservation of total energy equation, which is [tex]W_{nc} = \Delta KE + \Delta PE[/tex], which might be a bit easier to understand.

i got it!

i used W-Wnc=Wc and got the correct answer for the change

for the hieght i just did W-Wnc/mg.

I was looking at the different formulas and stuff for this, and I'm stuck too, especially when I have taken the formula -Ffrd= (1/2)mvf^2-(1/2)mvi^2+mgyfinal-mgyinitial. I seriously am stuck on how to solve for the change in gravitational potential energy without the the final y-value or even distance.

1. What is gravitation potential energy without height?

Gravitation potential energy without height is the energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field, regardless of its height. It is a measurement of the potential for an object to move towards a lower gravitational potential.

2. How is gravitation potential energy without height calculated?

Gravitation potential energy without height can be calculated using the formula E = m*g*r, where m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational acceleration, and r is the distance from the center of mass of the object to the center of mass of the attracting body.

3. Can an object have gravitation potential energy without height?

Yes, an object can have gravitation potential energy without height. This energy is dependent on the mass and the distance from the center of mass of the object to the center of mass of the attracting body, not its height.

4. What is the relationship between gravitation potential energy without height and kinetic energy?

Gravitation potential energy without height and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that an object can possess. When an object falls, its gravitation potential energy without height is converted into kinetic energy. The total energy remains constant, but the form of energy changes.

5. How does gravitation potential energy without height affect the motion of objects?

Gravitation potential energy without height is the potential energy a body possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. This energy can be converted into kinetic energy, which affects the motion of objects. The greater the gravitation potential energy without height, the greater the force acting on the object and the faster it will accelerate towards the center of mass of the attracting body.