Electrostatic potential

In summary, the electrostatic potential at a point located at a distance r from a square with charges +q, -q, +q, -q placed at its vertices in a clockwise manner is proportional to 1/r and the correct option from the given choices is 1/r^3 due to the quadrupole moment. The equation for electrostatic potential is V = (1/4πε0) * ∑ (qi/Ri) and further clarification can be found on page 147 of Griffiths. A PM has also been sent regarding further studies.
Reshma

Homework Statement

(Objective type question)
Consider a square ABCD of side a, with charges +q, -q, +q, -q placed at the vertices, A, B, C, D in a clockwise manner. The electrostatic potential at some point located at distances r(r>>a) is proportional to?

Homework Equations

[tex]V =\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\sum_i \frac{q_i}{R_i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equation for the electrostatic potential is the obvious that V will be proportional to 1/r. I am a little confused by the options given to me...so just want to confirm.

Other options:
a] Constant
b] 1/r^2
c] 1/r^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi reshma,it is the 1/r^3 which is the correct answer.Note that it is a quadrupole...You may wish to refer to Griffiths page 147.

Thanks a billion, neelakash! I knew something was fishy with my answer...I never thought of the quadrapole moment.

What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is the measure of the amount of energy required to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to a specific point in an electric field.

How is electrostatic potential different from electric potential energy?

Electrostatic potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the energy stored in a system of charges due to their relative positions.

What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic potential?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic potential is volts (V) or joules per coulomb (J/C).

What factors affect the electrostatic potential at a given point?

The electrostatic potential at a given point is affected by the amount and distribution of charge in the electric field, as well as the distance and direction from the point to the source of the electric field.

How can electrostatic potential be calculated?

Electrostatic potential can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electrostatic potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the point to the source of the electric field.