How do I get this equation for period?

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation T = 2π√(2I/mgL) and how it relates to a physical pendulum of a rod-like object swinging back and forth. The question is raised about where the extra 2 in the equation comes from, and it is suggested that the correct equation should be T = 2π√(I/mgL). The conversation ends with a request for help in solving the problem.
frasifrasi
In class, we were asked to the relation T =2π√(2I/mgL).

However, I am only able to get T =2π√(I/mgL) -- I have no idea where that 2 came from. This is for a physical pendulum of a rod like object swinging back and forth.

Does anyone know how to get that equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I know, you are right that [tex]T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{I}{mgL}}[/tex]

I don't know where that extra 2 came from either.

It would have helped a lot if you had used the template. What exactly is the problem to be solved here? About what point is the inertia measured? What work have you done to arrive at a solution?

1. How is the period equation derived?

The period equation is derived by using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is derived from the principles of simple harmonic motion and the laws of motion.

2. Can the period equation be applied to all pendulum systems?

Yes, the period equation can be applied to all pendulum systems, as long as the pendulum is experiencing simple harmonic motion. This means that the pendulum's motion is periodic and can be described by a sine or cosine function.

3. How do I measure the length of the pendulum for the period equation?

The length of the pendulum should be measured from the point of suspension (where the string or rod is attached) to the center of mass of the pendulum. It is important to measure from the center of mass because this is where the weight of the pendulum is concentrated.

4. Is the period equation affected by the mass of the pendulum?

No, the period equation is not affected by the mass of the pendulum. This is because the mass cancels out in the equation, and only the length and acceleration due to gravity are used to calculate the period.

5. Can the period equation be used for any pendulum length?

Yes, the period equation can be used for any pendulum length. However, for small angles of oscillation (less than 15 degrees), the equation is most accurate. For larger angles, the period will be slightly longer due to the effects of gravity and the pendulum's mass.